• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Shift in Software Expectations???

How important is the OTA to you?

• I can't wait, stock since day one and waiting for an update...

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • I'd prefer an OTA, but I might try rooting...

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • I am rooted, but I'll go stock to get the OTA...

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Who cares about the OTA? I have all I need with my ROM...

Votes: 16 39.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jamo

Android Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2010
SC
Yesterday's OTA drama got me thinking about software today. I was listening to the Engadget podcast and Josh Topolsky said that he was getting an iPad because was he looking forward to what it could do once it was jail-broken. Josh is a pretty big fan of Apple products, and he wants to jail-break his new iPad... I went back to stock in anticipation of the update, and when it didn't happen, I went right back to root and ROM. I know there are guys who are tired of hearing about the rooting, but seriously, how many of us on the forum are pretty much just fine without official updates? I LOVE my droid right now with ROM, Beautiful Widgets, and Helix Launcher. I know that hacking and working around software restrictions have always been around, but it seems like things might have changed with the internet, and especially forums like this one. You don't have to go to the big boys for their releases anymore, instead of Mac v PC. Maybe more and more users will start expecting their software to come from any number of smaller dev's, with more frequent updates and customization. Just an observation...

I think what you said is true. However there are those of us who aren't quite so adventuresome or knowledgeable about "all things Droid." I've read hundreds of "I've rooted" messages on here, and have read a handful of "I tried to root and it didn't work... did I brick my phone?" messages, and believe me, that handful of messages got me shivering in my boots.

So we wait for the manufacturer to send us an update that we KNOW will work... and if it doesn't, we know exactly who to blame and who's going to fix it.

Just depends on your comfort level, I guess.

Upvote 0
I think what you said is true. However there are those of us who aren't quite so adventuresome or knowledgeable about "all things Droid." I've read hundreds of "I've rooted" messages on here, and have read a handful of "I tried to root and it didn't work... did I brick my phone?" messages, and believe me, that handful of messages got me shivering in my boots.

So we wait for the manufacturer to send us an update that we KNOW will work... and if it doesn't, we know exactly who to blame and who's going to fix it.

Just depends on your comfort level, I guess.

I felt the same way for awhile before I rooted, and I'll still go back to stock and get the OTA if/when it comes out. I think it's definitely a good idea to not root if you're not sure of what you're doing, which is why end-users are given admin access :D

Upvote 0
Based on a hunch, I'm of the opinion that most of the rooted folks are going to unroot and install the OTA update ... just because the curiosity will simply be too much to bear. I know that I'm prepared to unroot. Heck, why not? If I don't like the OTA 2.1 update, I can easily get back where I am now.

Hmm, I don't know about the Droid community, but typically for N1 custom ROMs, we'll get things ripped out of leaked updates incorporated into custom ROMs well before OTA updates show up. If not, new stuff/fixes from OTA updates will get integrated into custom ROMs anyway, so it's not like you lose anything.

Upvote 0
Based on a hunch, I'm of the opinion that most of the rooted folks are going to unroot and install the OTA update ... just because the curiosity will simply be too much to bear. I know that I'm prepared to unroot. Heck, why not? If I don't like the OTA 2.1 update, I can easily get back where I am now.

I dont think anywhere near most will unroot. Most people who are rooted have been running an ESE53 rom for weeks and thats what the OTA is. No reason to check it out well already know.

Upvote 0

I've got my Droid rooted and running at 800MHz with BB 0.5 (I am fine with just three homescreens) and AdamZ's low voltage kernel. My phone is working just fine.

What I really want is a rooted and completely stock 2.1 to play with. I want to just rip out apps I don't want, the annoying camera shutter sound and be able to install an alternative kernel for overclocking. While ROMs like BB are nice, I don't care for the various themes and modified apps they all have.

For now, I'll be leaving my phone alone. Fortunately, I'll get to play with the 2.1 OTA when my wife's Droid eventually gets the update. I have kept her phone stock because I want her phone to work without issues when she's driving our kids around.

Upvote 0
I'm waiting for the OTA. I hear alot of people saying "rooting is so easy" "rooting is the best thing I ever did" "you can't screw it up". I read all the threads about rooting and admittedly it looks easy, hell there's even a step by step Youtube video. Rooting isn't the problem, the problem comes after that. I have no idea how to install a custom ROM, I have know idea what a kernel is, and mostly I don't know enough to know if I even mess something up much less how to fix it if I did. It all comes down to what you want to do with your phone. I just want a phone, my email, and occasional internet. Stock is fine with me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones