• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

should I bring my Third droid back?

My first had the high-pitched teakettle noise in the background of some calls... NOTHING else was wrong with it. (manufacture date: 39/09)

My second also had the high pitched noise, and it turned itself off or rebooted two or three times a day. (manufacture date: 42/09)

I haven't made enough calls on my third phone (manufacture date: 44/09) to hear the teakettle noise, but I noticed that it would randomly fire up the GPS when I didn't expect it to (I haven't even tried to reinstall Locale, yet, then I'd expect it)... but we just spent a couple days in downtown Chicago and, just for kicks, I used the GPS to figure out which way we should walk to get to our next shop/restaurant/landmark. It had some troubles pinpointing our exact location, sometimes it was a few blocks off, sometimes it though we were in the middle of Lake Michigan... and just now, on our return drive from downtown Chicago out to the suburbs, it thought we were in Kentucky... I left it on, to see if it would figure itself out, but it didn't... it had our direction and the amount of distance we were traveling correct... but it thought we were offroading through the hills and mountains of northern Kentucky.

I tried restarting the phone a couple times. It still thought we were in Kentucky. I removed the battery for a minute, it locked into the right GPS and located me correctly.

I know that if I call Verizon support, they'll just tell me to exchange it. They're very nice, but if you're within the right amount of days, they just tell you to do that to avoid escalating the problem. I wish I could've just solved the teakettle noise on the first phone... then I'd be happy.

My other two Droids never did this... is this common? Is it a bad sign? Should I move on to my FOURTH droid? Do the android gods hate me?

I am also on my 3rd Droid and so far so good. I noticed that the Gps has problems if you update google maps. My first 2 had an echo on the callers end and I'm pretty sure this one will have the same problem. My fix has been toggling the speakerphone during the call. Just tap speakerphone 2x and the rest of the call is fine. HOPEFULLY......December 11th will fix all these problems. It seems that date will be a bigger deal than November 6th was.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones