• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Should i create my app idea? A school shopping & delivery service

Hello community! I am here to ask some advice and would really appreciate it.
I've had this great idea for an app for my college, the main purpose is a delivery service since many students sell many types of stuff inside the campus (such as food, school supplies, used books, accesories, and much more).

This is a brief description of what i'd like to incorporate:

First as obvious will be a registration/login for clients and sellers.

The seller accounts can upload their products, add details, photos, price, optional quantity, and an option to pause the sales in case they are out of stock. whenever someone adds their product to the cart and commits to buy their item they inmediatly receive a notification if they are conected to the internet, otherwise the client receives a messege informing the seller is unavailable, so they can search the product from another seller.

The clients will search for their item of interest, see all the info needed and add to cart, when they commit to buy they can choose whether to contact the seller and agree an encounter, or privide their actual classroom so the seller can deliver. and after the seller and client both confirm the delivery and payment, they rate eachother.

The design may feature a main menu where you can look up products and filter them by frequently bought, newest, or so, and also a search by category or search by name. and a sidebar where you can change through main menu, messages, profile, and settings.

Two types of accounts, so some options are hidden to others, notifications are a key factor, conection to a server and database so everyone has displayed the same information. im aware that many thing have to be involved for it to work properly.
I would also put ads so i can get some income, and if it all goes well, i'd integrate a fee for the sellers i dont know yet maybe a montly or once upon registration i dont know but i think of making it an in-app purchase, sellers that joined before that update will indeed have some kind of discount or benefit. Or if they dont want to or cant pay within the app, they can pay me personaly and i can activate the membership for them.

There would be no money transactions in the app, only the in-app purchase for the sellers membership.

That is the basic concept of the app. I think you get most of the idea. I have very little experience with java and android as i had programming classes at high school, but very basic stuff.

Soooo now that you know what im going to deal with, i would really appreciate if you could tell me aproximately how difficult it may be or how long may it take me. I know it need lots of coding and i already started watching some videos but now i dont really know if i'll make up enough time to start from scratch and finish completely the app.

Oh and also, sorry i know this is an android forum, but is there be a way to program it in a languaje that both android and ios support? could it work perfectly on both platforms or would one still need more adjustments and a lot more time to make both work synced? i dont know about that topic.

Sorry if i made this a bit long but now i am very confused and want to know if it will be worth it since i also have my own work to do at collage.:thinking:o_O

And thanks so much in advance!! Have a good day! :D

Soooo now that you know what im going to deal with, i would really appreciate if you could tell me aproximately how difficult it may be or how long may it take me. I know it need lots of coding and i already started watching some videos but now i dont really know if i'll make up enough time to start from scratch and finish completely the app.

Difficulty level: Very high. You have a lot of features going on here. Client/server architecture with centralised database. Push notifications. Payment system. It's not trivial. Given your current level of knowledge, you certainly have your work cut out. I'm not saying it's impossible, but expect to invest a lot of time in this project.

Oh and also, sorry i know this is an android forum, but is there be a way to program it in a languaje that both android and ios support? could it work perfectly on both platforms or would one still need more adjustments and a lot more time to make both work synced? i dont know about that topic.

If cross platform compatibility is your goal, then your best strategy would be to implement this as a website, and use the web browser as your UI. That way it doesn't matter what device is used to access the site. So in this case, you wouldn't actually need to write an app. Most of your code would be on the server, with the UI being HTML/Javascript. There are a number of server side technologies you can use to implement it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for replying LV426

I thinked about this and I am going to do it, in my free times little by little and eventually I will finish it, and if something goes wrong at least i'd have the knowledge for the future!

That's a good idea I didn't think of implementing it as a website rather than a mobile app, but my concern is if the website is capable of having the same features as the app, such as sending notifications and instant updates in messages or products without having to reload the website

Once again thanks!

Upvote 0
Well you wouldn't want the notification part to be implemented by an app anyway. It needs to be centralised and managed by something which has visibility of all the data. The main reason I suggested the website approach was that you said you wanted cross platform compatibility.

But something else to throw into the mix here - Google have developed a messaging system called Firebase Cloud Messaging (Formerly known as Google Cloud Messaging). If your system is built around messaging, then this could be something to consider. But this does mean you would need to develop separate Android and iOS applications.

https://firebase.google.com/docs/cloud-messaging/

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones