• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I go back to the tour?

Well...unless i have the only hero that is laggy, and all the other performance related threads don't exist...then you all are ignoring reality.

As I type this on my hero, I have just finished restoring the device. I have no applications installed and I am having to delete words as i type because the phone cant keep up with my typing. I have vibrate and sound off to ensure speed...and its still not keeping up...

So tell me, are my expectations too high for a iphone competing device that came out THREE years after the iphone...

Upvote 0
Well...unless i have the only hero that is laggy, and all the other performance related threads don't exist...then you all are ignoring reality.

As I type this on my hero, I have just finished restoring the device. I have no applications installed and I am having to delete words as i type because the phone cant keep up with my typing. I have vibrate and sound off to ensure speed...and its still not keeping up...

So tell me, are my expectations too high for a iphone competing device that came out THREE years after the iphone...

there is definitely keyboard lag when you have suggested spellings and predictive text activated...when I turned those off I found the keyboard was much more responsive.

Upvote 0
Hardware wise, your device is gonna be slower than the iphone as previously stated because the hardware is indeed faster on the iPhone. Now if they gave the hero the same hardware as the iPhone you would more than likely push its limits and open up multiple apps (past what it could handle), have the sluggish feel and we would be right back where we started with the post. Me not running 20 apps at once, well I don't mind not having them open. I've had this phone for a few days and I couldn't be any happier with a cell phone than I am now. Also, the dust under the screen, I've still yet to see any and I do have the google branded phone. I'm a sales associate while in college and my clothes get dirty at work, so when I empty my pockets it's dust city and the phone comes out like a champ.

Upvote 0
Hero - iPhone...

I did exactly what you proposed... Hero next to the iPhone...
Hero wins...

Sorry but I have not experienced the problems to any degree as mentioned here. Slight delays when opening an app here or there, but that said... The Hero's customization and performance is just fine. I also did this in store PRIOR to purchase, a few times, I went and compared the Hero side by side with the iPhone and others... Good to do in store because the phones don't have any baggage loaded onto them... its just phone against phone.

I can't tell you why, but mostly I think that the larger percentage of Hero's out there are not experiencing these problems and seem to be more than it is because most will find the forums when they are having issues.

Ultimately, like it has been mentioned here, maybe in other threads too, this is not a question you should ask others... YOU must be comfortable with your selection, if you are not happy or have reservations then make a decision... we can't do that for you. I know this phone is LIGHT YEARS ahead of my last phone - Palm Treo800W with WinMo... hands down! After 2 months of hacking that phone I got it to work the way I needed it without having to pull the battery 6x a day, never an update/support provided but sorely needed and only thing that worked correctly were programs NOT provided by Sprint or Microsoft, PERIOD! So, rejoice! hahaha, I have been saved by my Hero!

lolz...

Regards!

Upvote 0

Do you really have a Hero or did someone from the iPhone forums put you up to this? I am just asking.

I have never heard Sprint or Google say this device is an iPhone killer. iPhone are safe! All apps have to be approved by Apple, so you get what they want you to have.

It really sounds like you love the iPhone a lot. I don't think the decision to move on should be all that hard to make. So you did asked the question "what should I do?"

-Answer - Suck up the extra cost and bad 3g coverage, get the iPhone and live happily ever after.

Upvote 0
Strange post, i dont get any of those problems, and I have over 60 apps installed on my phone, and do very little task management.

One piece of advice i can offer is turn off keyboard feedbacki, that will remove any lag you get.

also...

lol blackberry

I just got done showing my friend the Hero because they are debating leaving AT&T

I showed them the dolphin browser...I opened it, did my New Tab gesture, opened google, went back did my Select Text gesture, went to the google tab pasted the text into the search field, while doing this I received a new text and an email at the same time, went to the notification bar real quick, read my email, deleted the email, went back to the notification bar, read the text, responded, then opened the browser to see the search I did, opened that page and read the news I searched for, I then closed the dolphin browser, went to my homepage, opened the weather forecast real quick, we talked about the forecast, then I went to the next screen to look at the date for Monday, then went to the next screen played a song from my music widget real quick, while that was playing I showed them the badass picture album widget and threw away pictures and them brought them back, then I went to my contact list updated my friends profile so it was linked to their facebook profile (all while the 3:30 song was playing), then I closed that paused the song, opened youtube played the first video, showed them normal quality vs high quality (obvious wow reaction), closed youtube, hit the end button and walked away to them talking to themselves about the exact amount they would be saving (they are an iphone user)

all the while I was doing this I do not recall any lag, if there was we are talking 1-3 seconds, but that was rare

I love this fkn phone

YES!

Upvote 0
... in your case though, It seems quite broke.

hahaha, Dreamliner's Hero or decision making process?

I just thought that was funny... No offense intended, Dreamliner... :)

Don't forget to let us know what your ultimate decision was... ACP, lmao and very similar to what I have been able to do without a hiccup. I feel for my fellow Hero owners who might be experiencing these issues, but ultimately, you have not told us if you removed all your app's and went native, adjust a few of the OBVIOUS settings pointed out here in the forums, if you then still have the lagginess??? Then reinstall apps one at a time and go through some trials to see if there is a particular app causing headaches. Everyone is so quick to blame the equipment, I just don't think that is the issue most of the time. Dust under glass being an exception.

Regards!

Upvote 0
You people are delusional if you think that there is no lag on the Hero. I own one, like it a lot, but it is plagued by lag everywhere. Even in factory fresh condition, before you ask how many apps I've installed.

Honesty...wow.

Yeah, guess you and I are the 'only' one with slow hero's...:p

I got another hero, it had a dead pixel, swapped out 2 hours later for another hero.

I think I'll stick with the hero, and its laggyness.

:rolleyes:

Maybe some rooting will speed things along :D

Upvote 0
You people are delusional if you think that there is no lag on the Hero. I own one, like it a lot, but it is plagued by lag everywhere. Even in factory fresh condition, before you ask how many apps I've installed.

This guy speaks complete truth, I agree with him 100%. So many people here say their Hero's are fast all the time in every way. I'd HATE to see what "lag" means to them. Don't get my wrong, I love my Hero, but can't deny its sometimes unbearable lag.

Upvote 0
Alright, I have this knocked down to a few items:

Most of the issues were resolved in the recent firmware update but there are two that will not be be changed:

1.) The phone is a bit laggy. There is talk about 'Android 2 this, or hacked roms that.' I really doubt either of these updates will significantly improve the response.

2.) Dust under the glass. It is amazing to me this would be an issue, but the screen is not sealed on the hero, I had my first hero for a week before dust started showing up under the glass.

I took my hero apart, but I couldn't separate the screen assembly from the front cover and stopped because I didn't want to break it.

I swapped it for another hero because of the dust and a few dead pixels, the second hero had a dead pixel, the third was fine.

I just fear if I am already on my 3rd hero, if this is really the best idea.

I am considering going back to a tour. So conflicted.

Hero

Strengths:
Touchscreen
Interface
Web Browser
Signal Strength
Form Factor
Scalability of OS

Weakness:
Speed
Dust Under Glass

Tour

Strengths:
Speed
Proven OS
No dust under glass :p

Weakness:
Trackball Horror Stories
Home row of lights don't shut off during call (no fix/mod=deal breaker)
Signal strength
Web Browsing

:thinking:

Upvote 0
This guy speaks complete truth, I agree with him 100%. So many people here say their Hero's are fast all the time in every way. I'd HATE to see what "lag" means to them. Don't get my wrong, I love my Hero, but can't deny its sometimes unbearable lag.

I love the sense ui, but honestly, I really thing HTC's software is overbearing on the hardware. In fact, every HTC device I ever played with (even the winmo stuff) always left me feeling as though the device was sluggish.

Upvote 0

Raises hand!! "Not delusional here!"

I handed my phone yesterday to a work mate who is considering buying one for his elderly father. My work mate has had his iPhone for about 6 weeks. He wanted to learn a little about the Hero interface so he could help his father if needed. After about 10 minutes messing around with the Hero he handed it back and said "nice...and it is fast too!"

Upvote 0
i cant believe this is still going on.. sounds like you want a tour but you will regret it. all in all just stay with the hero

im on my first hero i got from BB, ya my awake time may be 100% but my battery is lasting for about two days, no dust under glass ( no screen guard neither), not sluggish at all with 28 apps only think i liked about my tour compared to the hero was the dock charger i have for it other than that it blows.

good luck with your choice bro.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones