• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Should I go with the Captivate or Vibrant?

xnoctis93

Sep 5, 2010
Hi: I live in Canada, my carrier is Rogers. Bell Canada already has the Samsung Vibrant, where as Rogers is going to be getting probably sometime in October the Captivate. I really like that with the Vibrant, theres a hole under the cover to slide a strap/keychain through where as with the captivate maybe its possible thru the speaker grills. I'm coming from an iPhone 3GS and just don't want a phone that feels just like the phone i've been moving away from. Do you like the Captivate or Vibrant more and howcome?

Thanks

I bought the Bell version and unlocked it for Rogers, works great. I also have the option to use the front facing camera that the Rogers won't have. And we don't know what silly crap R will put on it or lockout. The Bell version is a good one to use and gets updates from Samsung, not sure about the Rogers version. And with all the versions out there I've read that we shouldn't call it a Vibrant when dealing with roms etc because it is more like the international version.

Your biggest issue might be actually walking out the door with one without getting a Bell plan with it. I went to 5 different stores including Bell's before I found a way to buy it outright.

Upvote 0
I bought the Bell version and unlocked it for Rogers, works great. I also have the option to use the front facing camera that the Rogers won't have. And we don't know what silly crap R will put on it or lockout. The Bell version is a good one to use and gets updates from Samsung, not sure about the Rogers version. And with all the versions out there I've read that we shouldn't call it a Vibrant when dealing with roms etc because it is more like the international version.

Your biggest issue might be actually walking out the door with one without getting a Bell plan with it. I went to 5 different stores including Bell's before I found a way to buy it outright.

If you wouldn't mind sharing....how did you manage/where did you go to buy it outright? I too would like to buy the phone, preferably with some warrant of sorts in case there be immediate problems that arise.

Upvote 0
That's stupid... You would think that they would rather you buy it outright, esp at the bell store, since they would get a bigger commission from it... lol

I have the Vibrant from Bell and love it... I ported my number from Virgin, only bcuz Virgin wouldn't let me go from pre-paid to post-paid for some damn reason... oh well, they lost business...

Virgin has wayyyyy better customer care... Even tho Bell owns Virgin...
I had to pay Bell $20 to port in my number, I'm giving them business and they're charging me... They said that all carriers do it, but I told them Virgin doesn't... Maybe I should have stayed with Virgin..

Anyways, Virgin doesn't have this phone... I wanted the HTC Legend, but then I heard it was discontinued (by Virgin and Bell) bcuz this phone was being released... So that got me interested in this phone...

Upvote 0
That's stupid... You would think that they would rather you buy it outright, esp at the bell store, since they would get a bigger commission from it... lol

I have the Vibrant from Bell and love it... I ported my number from Virgin, only bcuz Virgin wouldn't let me go from pre-paid to post-paid for some damn reason... oh well, they lost business...

Virgin has wayyyyy better customer care... Even tho Bell owns Virgin...
I had to pay Bell $20 to port in my number, I'm giving them business and they're charging me... They said that all carriers do it, but I told them Virgin doesn't... Maybe I should have stayed with Virgin..

Anyways, Virgin doesn't have this phone... I wanted the HTC Legend, but then I heard it was discontinued (by Virgin and Bell) bcuz this phone was being released... So that got me interested in this phone...

they might be evil but that aren't stupid. They would much rather tie you to a contract, they get the hardware profit and thousands more from you over 3 years. Only thing stupid is listing a take away price and then refusing to sell it.

Porting numbers is something I don't do with cell, they can keep their numbers and the spam calls that come with it. I give out a VoIP number which will ring several phones including my cell (like google voice does). Nobody has to know my cell number and I can give it up anytime, not gonna be tied to any provider.

It doesn't matter which carrier has which phone, you only care about which phones work on them. At least that's what I do, I get the phone I want and use it on the carrier I want. screw the contracts, I get better service without one.

Upvote 0
they might be evil but that aren't stupid. They would much rather tie you to a contract, they get the hardware profit and thousands more from you over 3 years. Only thing stupid is listing a take away price and then refusing to sell it.

Porting numbers is something I don't do with cell, they can keep their numbers and the spam calls that come with it. I give out a VoIP number which will ring several phones including my cell (like google voice does). Nobody has to know my cell number and I can give it up anytime, not gonna be tied to any provider.

It doesn't matter which carrier has which phone, you only care about which phones work on them. At least that's what I do, I get the phone I want and use it on the carrier I want. screw the contracts, I get better service without one.

Ya the provider would rather tie you into a contract, but the sales person, i would think, would like a bigger payout on their commission check, lol.

I've had the same number for over 5 years now, and have no spam callings... thankfully. This is the second time I've ported my number... Went from Bell, to Virgin (only bcuz I worked for them for a period of time, and got a sweet deal) and now I'm back with Bell...

The whole unlocking phones stuff.. I have no clue about.. Although, this is the first time I've had a SIM card for a phone...

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies. In the end, I went for the Vibrant. Theres a store I found at a mall which sells the Samsung I9000 Galaxy S(vibrant i guess you can call it) for 560$ and is not locked to any provider. Just slim in my sim and i'm good to go. I do like the back of the captivate, however seeing as I plan to keep a case on my phone, I like the shape of the Vibrant, even with a case on it, and it seems perfect for me. So i plan to buy it today. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones