• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root SHould I root my phone

I have 2.3 ,I have heard the only reason to root is to get the latest update before its released. What's the benefits of rooting?
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unfortunately you can't root your phone just yet. please read this thread:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...cant-root-your-gingerbread-2-3-3-evo-yet.html

here is another thread that will break down what some of the benefits are as well as some of the terms you should know:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/129648-quick-intro-rooting-those-new-rooting.html

and one last thread is this one:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide.

as far as what i think the benefits are, well i like the fact that the phone is really yours to change. i mean we have roms that are out that has pretty much the same sense 3.0 os that the evo 3d has minus the dual core chip. so you do not have to upgrade to get it, you can just flash a rom. plus the dev community is still going strong and it does not look like it will slow down anytime soon.

hope that helps. any more questions please feel free to ask.

Reactions: ndh777
Upvote 0
Like said before, unfortunately you can't root 2.3 yet. Although once you can, I say you should root it.

Once you are rooted you can do so much more with your phone. You can change your kernel to save battery and boost performance, you can remove the bloatware that slows your phone down and takes up valuable memory, also you can change the ROM that you run and customize it however you want.

In my opinion the pros far out weigh the cons. In fact the only con is you can't bring it in unless you unroot it, which isn't very hard. I also recommend that if you do eventually root make sure you read and pay attention to those threads posted above and then read them again.

Upvote 0
Like said before, unfortunately you can't root 2.3 yet. Although once you can, I say you should root it.

Once you are rooted you can do so much more with your phone. You can change your kernel to save battery and boost performance, you can remove the bloatware that slows your phone down and takes up valuable memory, also you can change the ROM that you run and customize it however you want.

In my opinion the pros far out weigh the cons. In fact the only con is you can't bring it in unless you unroot it, which isn't very hard. I also recommend that if you do eventually root make sure you read and pay attention to those threads posted above and then read them again.

Very well said ;)

Upvote 0
I have 2.3 ,I have heard the only reason to root is to get the latest update before its released. What's the benefits of rooting?

As previously stated a million times, you can't root just yet lol. BUT DON'T LET THAT DISCOURAGE YOU!!

Rooting is amazing. You can do so much more with it, and hopefully my post won't be too long or cover what everyone else has been saying...

Advantages:
-makes phone a bit faster. Not really in network speeds like 2G/3G/4G/Wifi/etc. but in terms of the speed of your phone like when you run apps and how smooth everything runs and how things glide...that kind of thing.

-allows more customization. It allows you to get what's called "ROMs" which make the phone run and look different. Although some ROMs do not have some features enabled, so be careful and make sure to ask questions. Most ROMs that have things disabled usually have things like 4G/front camera/HDMI output disabled. But most ROMs now have everything working.

-great to show off! My friends with Evos are always wondering how they can make their phone as cool as mine. lol I don't know, that's kinda something I like ;)

-usually you will have great battery life. If you don't you can add what are known as kernels to help with that or other problems that may arise.

-allows certain apps to operate such as CacheMate which allows you to delete all cache from apps with one click. Or wireless tether which allows you to tether your phone's internet connection to another device using wifi.

-many more. Just ask and look around at some of the threads to see what kinds of cool things come from rooting.

The biggest disadvantages are, as I said before, some ROMs do have certain features disabled. But, that's becoming a rarity especially for the Evo 4G devices. Another disadvantage which is an extreme rarity is that sometimes you can damage your phone beyond repair if you don't know what you're doing. But don't let that discourage you as I didn't know either when I first started but now I know all this and it's becoming harder and harder to completely destroy your phone. Another disadvantage is that if you have Sprint insurance, and Sprint finds out that your phone is rooted...whether you show them in person in a Sprint store or tell them over the phone, your warranty can be voided meaning that you will lose insurance. But that is only if they find out.

Basically rooting your Android device removes the security from the system allowing you as the user to have ultimate control over what your phone can and cannot do. In doing so, you unlock many of the things that Sprint/HTC/etc. have disabled or have only enabled for those who pay for those extra features. I know it sounds bad with the whole "removing security" but it's gotten better over the years to the point that they added an app that allows you to only give special privileges to certain functions that require what is known as "root access".

You may or may not understand everything that I said above, so if you have any further questions or need elaboration, feel free to ask away! Either ask us here on this thread or feel free to drop me a message in my inbox.

Welcome to Android Forums and I hope you enjoy your stay and have the answer that you were looking for! :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, so should I go back to 2.2 to root and if so how?

Currently at this point, there is no way to go backwards once you receive an OTA (over the air update). The only way to go backwards is to root your phone and by rooting it, and of course, rooting hasn't been found for Android 2.3.3 on the HTC Evo 4G.

Progress is being made as our neighbors with the HTC Sensation and HTC Evo 3D have been successful in finding roots. I mention these two phones because they are very similar to ours so we are getting closer and closer to finding a root method. Be patient, it shouldn't be long now ;) Keep checking back on this thread or on the "All Things Root" section of the HTC Evo 4G's page here, or checking this thread: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...root-your-gingerbread-2-3-3-evo-just-yet.html Once a root method is found, you can guaranteed that it will be posted in many places and a root method for you to follow will be released.

If you aren't too tech-savvy, you can use what is known as "unrEVOked" to root your phone. Go to unrEVOked's website and click on HTC Evo 4G to read up on how their rooting method works so that if and when a root is found, you can root by this method if you'd like. It is very easy to do and very painless.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones