• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ? Should I upgrade ?

hillsmi

Apr 23, 2011
MI
Just rec'd my Desire from Ebay purchase.

I'm a noob to Android, so please take it easy, and all help is appreciated...(I'm still poking around the site, so I may find a some of my ? answered, but still appreciate the friendly guidance and expertise of the Android vets in the meantime).

Activated on Alltel network, and all is running.

Per the seller - "phone is running the stock rom wiped to factory but still has root." "Seller used Unrevoked and clockwork recovery)

Looking through the phone, it appears that it has 2.1

Is there any benefit to upgrading to 2.2 or 2.3 (if available)? What is the current Alltel stock ROM version? (What I use my phone for the most; calls, occasional Gmail, Google Maps / navigation, rare-to-occasional pics / vids)

Beyond that, I don't get into doing much else. I don't FB, tweet, etc.

I've flashed custom ROMs before to my HTC TP, but Android is new.

I've read about the 'gold card'; do you have to have a separate cards for your storage and for the gold card? or can you have the gold card stuff on the same as your storage? (I've yet to make a gold card)

Can someone point me toward upgrading my ROM above 2.1, if available for / from Alltel.

Thanks, and hope to gain knowledge from your replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones