SIM card for CDMA GS4?General

1. smitty543

smitty543 Well-Known Member

Will the Samsung Galaxy S4 have a slot for an international SIM card?

Advertisement
  2. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Well-Known Member

What do you mean. Do you mean will it have a dual sim.
  3. smitty543

smitty543 Well-Known Member

Sorry, should have explained that I am interested in CDMA phone (Sprint) and would like phone to which I can add an international SIM card.
  4. Liamo_210

I would think so, as long as the international carrier used CDMA
    smitty543 likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Surely the question is for GSM/WCDMA roaming, like what are marketed stateside as "world phones" offer?

The standard referred to as CDMA is not widespread outside North America.
  6. Liamo_210

True but it is available. As long as the phone has a gem/wxdma antenna swell then it will definetley work

So when your about to get the device do some research to check what antennas its packed with.
  7. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

CDMA is available almost nowhere outside of the US. Everywhere else uses GSM. There are very few phones capable of both CDMA and GSM because it requires two hardware radios and practically no demand for it. I really doubt the S4 is going to have a CDMA+GSM variant. If you want a world phone that you can use in the States, you need to buy an unlocked international version (I9500/I9505) and use it on AT&T or T-Mobile.
  8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

it still remains to be seen...but on the most recent devices Sprint has done an embedded sim...

so the answer would be no if they do this on the s4....at least not without serious hardware modification to add the sim slot.

a few members on xda have been working on this with the note2. I have not followed progress but here is the thread

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1959005
  9. lafester

lafester Well-Known Member

This is what I'm waiting to find out as well. Someone said the ONE will have a removable sim (not confirmed yet) so I am hoping the s4 will be the same. Over at s4gru they are speculating that removable sims are coming but nobody knows when.
  10. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

As non-CDMA GS4s will use removeable SIM cards by design, I've retitled this topic to avoid unnecessary confusion. ;)