SIM or MicroSIM for the Google Nexus 7 ?Tips

Last Updated:

1. MareLuce

MareLuce Well-Known Member

Does the Google Nexus 7 take a SIM or MicroSIM card?

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

3. MareLuce

MareLuce Well-Known Member

I just found in the manual where it references the Micro SIM
  4. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

It is a micro SIM.

I just upgraded to from a first gen Galaxy Tab 10.1 to a Nexus 7. When the N7 arrived, I realized that my standard SIM didn't fit.

I was able to (VERY CAREFULLY) cut down my regular SIM card to the micro SIM size/shape.

I'm still baffled as to why the industry thought we needed smaller SIM cards. I don't think the size of the SIM card is holding back our devices, given that the devices seem to keep getting bigger these days anyway!

5. ChadShaft

ChadShaft Well-Known Member

I have a T-Mobile hot spot that takes a standard SIM. I wonder if TMobile will change it to a micro sim for me, then I can pop it in my Nexus 7 and just use a sim adapter when I use my hot spot.

Anybody have any experience with this?
  6. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

Curious, will the N7 work with the T-Mobile $30 unlimited plan (with 100 talk minutes)? I was thinking of getting an N4, but really prefer screen size of N7. Have N7 non-3G at the moment.
  7. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Well-Known Member

As far as I know, yes, it will work with that plan. Just be aware that the N7 won't make cellular voice calls like the N4. Google Voice or Skype could fill that gap though.

tcat007 likes this.
  8. tcat007

tcat007 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I thought the whole reason for buying a Nexus 7 3G was for the voice calls. Back to thinking N4... or just keeping my N7 with GrooveIP, works well enough.