• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sinister Planet

Essex

Android Enthusiast
Jun 12, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I didn't see a thread for "Sinister Planet" so I'm gonna get one started. "Sinister Planet" is a retro dual stick shooter that I have been having a lot of fun with. If I HAD to compare it to another game, I'd compare it to "Meteor Blitz" in a very loose sense. But "Sinister Planet" more than distinguishes itself from the graphically superior "Meteor Blitz" with its challenging, old-school-hard gameplay.

Also, the developer of this game is simply awesome. He is responsive, and he is constantly tweaking the gameplay with meaningful updates. As a matter of fact, I shot the developer an email suggesting some gameplay tweaks and he actually incorporated some of my ideas into the game! Very cool!

Sometimes I feel like some developers release Android games for the heck of it, then charge way too much for a glitchy a** game. Then, to add insult to injury, those same developers update their games once every 9 months (if at all). I wish all developers approached their Android offerings with the same zeal as Neolithic Software approaches "Sinister Planet!"

For a fun alternative to "Meteor Blitz," check out "Sinister Planet" from your Android (2.2) phone:

http://market.android.com/search?q=pname:com.neosoft.SinisterPlanet

**Note** The link above works for 2.2 (Froyo) enabled phones with the new "App Sharing" function. Those with less than 2.2 just search "Sinister Planet" in the Market. A lite version is also available in the Market.

Reactions: snakemazi
In a nutshell, Sinister Planet could be described as a mixture between Asteroids, Sinistar and Galaga. Some of the graphics will look very familiar, though the game has been brought up to date with some cool looking backdrops.

Gameplay-wise, there's more to this than meets the eye. Collecting 'gems' and gold to progress the levels introduces an element of tactics not usual with this genre of game. The ability to upgrade your ship after each level leads to situations where you might hold back on an upgrade until next round, to gain a better weapon. Multiple lasers, multi-directional shooting and 'smart' bombs aka ECM - are some of the upgrades available.

Overall, while the graphics may not match some of the bigger titles on the android scene, they are in keeping with the feel of the game and really add to the overall sense that this is a 'retro' game you might have found in the old arcade halls. If you like that genre of game then it's pretty likely you'll enjoy this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones