• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Site meant for Chrome or Mobile browsing, or???

paulri

Sep 2, 2013
Ive posted here a few times (just got an Android phone), and I do like all the activity here (not like you have to wait a week for a reply). But there is one pet peeve. Every time Ive posted, the browser seems to hang and I dont see any message like "your thread has been posted. Click here to see submitted message" or anything. Some times, I hit the Create Thread button 2 or 3 times, and I still see nothing. A few minutes later, I will open up another tab in my browser (Firefox) and see that the thread has been posted in the proper forum.

Is this typical, regardless of device or browser? Or???

OK. Good, that means I dont have to install another browser to post here. :)

Regardless, Ill keep coming here. This is by far the busiest droid forum on the web.

Best of luck.
You don't need to install something else - but - I've personally had fewer duplicates using a forum app. Listed are my upcoming favorite and our official app (more features at the moment), in that order.

Check out "Forum Friends & Discussions v2"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.forum.fiend.osp2

Check out "Forums for Android™"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tapatalk.androidforumscom

The problem may still happen - but - typically it hangs saying "Receiving from server," or something.

If it happens, the post has gone through and it's hung up on the re-display.

For that, I press back / discard until I'm out of it. Refresh the thread if necessary, but the post is rarely actually discarded that way.

Not a perfect world but that way you don't have to wait in a holding pattern.

With the app used that way your post will appear in seconds.

With a mobile web browser, it may take a few minutes.

Sorry for the complications, hope that helps.

Upvote 0
The server will nearly always receive the post request.

I also occasionally get the display hangup problem.

my choice of "Display Fix" is to hit the F5 "refresh" thread key on a PC. That causes the thread to "renew" and will show your post.
I have long since given up trying to use any Android apps to read forums. My eyes no longer can read anything smaller than 24 point fonts, so I use a PC and a 24 inch monitor. makes this sentence look like it is almost a half inch tall :D

Upvote 0
Hey @EarlyMon I'm just trying this forum friends app and it seems great except for some teething problems. Two force closes while scrolling through lists and my "favourites" screen shows nothing even though I've starred all my favourite forums (or have I subscribed instead of favouriting?
Cheers mate
EDIT nope. Aparently starring a forum favourites it....
EDIT they're showing now :thumbsupdroid:
But now it's showing my favorites where forum index should be lol. Needs some work I think :)
AND it's fixed itself lol I'm sure it will settle in
AND favourites has gone again.
Are you experiencing any of this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1436401898722.jpg
Haven't figured out how to add pic yet so this is from AF (im such a dimwitt)

Upvote 0
Ok, my turn to hijack.

I use a mobile browser for this site (chrome).

In any other editing window on my phone, I can select pieces of my text as I type by using the swipe keyboard selection key, and refine that selection using either swipe keyboard arrow keys or my volume up and down keys. (Text selection is of course a prerequisite to many things: delete it, copy it, move it, bold it, underline it, overwrite it for correction, etc).

In the message compose window on my mobile browser for a/f only, I cannot select my own text using my normal keyboard tools (I have to long press and try to move those pointers accurately by sliding them....very cumbersome ...not my normal way of doing it).

It's ironic that the only site that fails me in this manner is the one dedicated to mobile phones.

I take a stand against installing an app for content that is on a website .... otherwise my phone would fill with website apps.

I know the problem/pain is of my own making (because I insist on using the website vs the app). I just wanted to mention it as feedback. (And it is a small item...overall I impressed with this site)

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones