SLCD for Nexus One

Last Updated:

1. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member This Topic's Starter

I saw this HTC adds SLCD displays to its Desire, Nexus One lines | Android Central news today and it seems very interesting. I wish it was the Super AMOLED that's replacing the AMOLED. What I find is interesting is that the SLCD is a joint venture between Sony and Samsung Sony, Samsung complete LCD plant - CNET News

My only concern is how much better is the SLCD is from the AMOLED. It has better battery usage and readable in sunlight.

Well the SLCD would be in for all of the people that purchase the N1 later next month...but my question is by then if you're sending your N1 in under warranty for replacement...would you get the refurbish N1..or a new one with SLCD? :confused:

Advertisement
  2. Mostly Harmless

Mostly Harmless Well-Known Member Contributor

I would really like to see a side by side comparison. If the slcd was so much better then why isn't it being used more often? AMOLED was HTC's first choice for the N1 and DInc.

3. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

i read that they dont even send you a refurb anymore , you have to choose the vibrant or slide....

4. Roze

I've read that too...but just if you're with an insurance company. I mean Vodaphone is still selling the N1, so I don't see why HTC wouldn't have refurbs to replace the N1s under warranty. And if there are no refurbs...then you get the new SLCD screen N1 I'd assume.

5. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

Thats a good question and im curious myself, a friend who also has a nexus called htc to see how much it would be to replace the screen, its only 125$. So im curious to see if you were to damge your screen would they replace it with an lcd or better yet if you requested to have it put in. Im curious to see a side by side as well. From what ive read better legibility in the sun and better battery life, 2 things that might make it worth it to switch

6. Roze

But then I wonder if the SLCD is like any other LCD screens and you sacrafice the black black pixels that gives the images such a WOW factor (crisp and in your face)on the N1.

7. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

i want the new screen!!!! grrr, just cause i have to have it

8. defiantbeast

9. Roze

I wonder that if HTC is replacing the AMOLED to the SLCD screen...would they also replace the outdated and annoying Clearpad 2000? I think the N1 would simply be PERFECT if they did that!!! :D

10. defiantbeast

forgive my ignorance what the clearpad 2000 do?

11. Roze

Clearpad 2000 is the touch sensor that is in the N1...you've heard the complaints how the N1's sensor SUCK...like crossing axis with 2 fingers cause the touch screen to not recognize the 2 points...well blame that on the Clearpad 2000. In April HTC ditched the Clearpad for the maXtouch, which has actual multitouch inputs. HTC Incredible and EVO 4G to feature new maXTouch sensors – Android and Me

I might be dreaming with that...but man *dreams*

12. defiantbeast

AAHHHH thanks, they probably wont do that as the influx of people wanting a change or swap out would be too much for them to handle. Now the better question would be could we mod the nexus so we could swap it out ourselves.....