• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Slow data, Low Signal Strength

Kreeker

May 8, 2010
I've had this phone for about a year now, but for some reason I just came to these realizations. This was my first smart phone, so I was blinded by all the fancy things that come with a smart phone...

Anyway, I'm currently running CM7 stable, 1.6.37.6 incredikernal, 2.15.00.11.19...

I'm always at 1 bar or less, around -90 dbm, and I just started running speedtests but my highest was 597 kbps down and 460 kbps up. This is complete shit.

Is my device a POS? or is Verizon network a POS?

Keep in mind, although I just started running speed tests, my data has always seemed slow... I just figured that's the way it was suppose to be...

I live 30 minutes from NYC if you are going to factor in location

Sounds about right for such a bad signal. Try a speed test in a better reception area. And try using the website, not the app.

Speakeasy - Speed Test

Just ran the test from the website....

My results:
.23 Mbps down
.24 Mbps up

This may sound right for such a bad signal... But the question is why do I have such a bad signal? It shouldn't be this way.

Upvote 0
Just ran the test from the website....

My results:
.23 Mbps down
.24 Mbps up

This may sound right for such a bad signal... But the question is why do I have such a bad signal? It shouldn't be this way.

you're too far from a tower, or the signal can't penetrate your walls, you're house sits low in a valley... no one gets a good signal everywhere... Every carrier has their strong and weak areas, overall Verizon has the best coverage in the USA, just may not be the best for everyone depending on your travel habits.
You can also purchase a network extender from Verizon which will improve your signal.

If you experience low signal EVERYWHERE, then you may have a bad antenna.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones