• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS from Vault "private contacts", not working!

jayjay1122

Android Expert
Mar 12, 2010
I'll be where I'm at!
Installed NQ Vault over the weekend and created a couple of Private Contacts. All SMS messages from those contacts still show up in the stock SMS application but now only show as phone numbers.

It's as if Vault imported the contact but left the phone number behind so the SMS messages still show up.

Maybe I am missing something and maybe I set something up wrong, that I cannot say. I mean is this app supposed to pull in SMS messages from Private Contacts or not?

Any advice?

So I did some trial and error last night and I finally got this working. Hopefully this will help others that are seeing the same thing or may see it in the future. I cannot promise this works with every phone and every carrier and every version of Android, but this is what worked for me.

My phone:
Samsung Galaxy S4
Verizon
VRUAME7 update installed

So according to NQ Mobile, Vault is supposed to capture calls and SMS messages from contacts you configure as Private Contacts. So after I installed Vault, I tried the follwing:

1. Initialize the app.
2. Create passcode.
3. Selected Private Contacts.
4. Select "From contacts" and enter the contacts you want as private. (this will delete them from your contacts app)
5. Had one of those contacts send me an SMS message.
**The message immediately showed up in the native Android SMS app but as coming from the phone number...the contact was gone. Since I already had messages from this contact in my native sms application, I thought somehow it was archived and they'd continue to show up there till I deleted all remnants of the contact. I even tried to import the SMS messages, into Vault, via the import option. No messages could be found by Vault.

Attempt 2:

1. Delete all SMS from the contact (just a phone number at this point).
2. "Restore" contacts back into the native contacts app.
3. Uninstall Vault (Mighta been overkill, who knows) and reinstall (repeat steps 1 and 2 from above).
4. Making sure no SMS messages existed in the native app, from either contact, recreated Private Contacts.
5. Had one of the Private Contacts send me an SMS again. Sure enough, it showed up in the native sms application again, just as the phone number. :mad::mad:
**At this point I was getting frustrated so I looked at ever single setting in Vault. Notifications, phone number and contact name matched, call logs deleted, everything...I went to the NQ website and perused the FAQ's and even opened a trouble ticket (no response thus far).

Attempts 3 and 4 were pretty much the same path with a couple of steps moved around etc...after Attempt 4 is when I started this thread.

Attempt 5:

**Leaving everything intact from the last attempt.
1. Restore Private Contacts back to native contacts app.
2. Deleted all call logs and sms messages from those contacts.
3. Deleted those contacts completely from the phone.
4. Went into Vault and created new Private Contacts using the "Input Manually" option.
***It seems the combination of having no remnants of those contacts on the phone and entering them into Vault, manually, solved the issue. Asked one of my Private Contacts to send me an SMS and I got the notification from Vault (really nice SMS GUI by the way) instead of the Android messaging app this time.

The bottom line, is that if you are having any trouble getting Vault to capture your calls or sms messages from your private contacts; restore those contacts, delete any remnants of that contact from your phone and enter them manually into Vault.

Good Luck!!

Upvote 0
Not working
So I did some trial and error last night and I finally got this working. Hopefully this will help others that are seeing the same thing or may see it in the future. I cannot promise this works with every phone and every carrier and every version of Android, but this is what worked for me.

My phone:
Samsung Galaxy S4
Verizon
VRUAME7 update installed

So according to NQ Mobile, Vault is supposed to capture calls and SMS messages from contacts you configure as Private Contacts. So after I installed Vault, I tried the follwing:

1. Initialize the app.
2. Create passcode.
4. Select "From contacts" and enter the contacts you want as private. (this will delete them from your contacts app)
**The message immediately showed up in the native Android SMS app but as coming from the phone number...the contact was gone. Since I already had messages from this contact in my native sms application, I thought somehow it was archived and they'd continue to show up there till I deleted all remnants of the contact. I even tried to import the SMS messages, into Vault, via the import option. No messages could be found by Vault.

Attempt 2:

3. Uninstall Vault (Mighta been overkill, who knows) and reinstall (repeat steps 1 and 2 from above).
4. Making sure no SMS messages existed in the native app, from either contact, recreated Private Contacts.
5. Had one of the Private Contacts send me an SMS again. Sure enough, it showed up in the native sms application again, just as the phone number. :mad::mad:
**At this point I was getting frustrated so I looked at ever single setting in Vault. Notifications, phone number and contact name matched, call logs deleted, everything...I went to the NQ website and perused the FAQ's and even opened a trouble ticket (no response thus far).

Attempts 3 and 4 were pretty much the same path with a couple of steps moved around etc...after Attempt 4 is when I started this thread.

Attempt 5:

4. Went into Vault and created new Private Contacts using the "Input Manually" option.
***It seems the combination of having no remnants of those contacts on the phone and entering them into Vault, manually, solved the issue. Asked one of my Private Contacts to send me an SMS and I got the notification from Vault (really nice SMS GUI by the way) instead of the Android messaging app this time.

The bottom line, is that if you are having any trouble getting Vault to capture your calls or sms messages from your private contacts; restore those contacts, delete any remnants of that contact from your phone and enter them manually into Vault.

Good Luck!!
in

Upvote 0
Not working in Android d lolipop is there any dev who can solve thus
="jayjay1122, post: 6080635, member: 77054"]So I did some trial and error last night and I finally got this working. Hopefully this will help others that are seeing the same thing or may see it in the future. I cannot promise this works with every phone and every carrier and every version of Android, but this is what worked for me.

My phone:
Samsung Galaxy S4
Verizon
VRUAME7 update installed

1. Initialize the app.
2. Create passcode.

Attempt 2:

Attempt 5:

Good Luck!![/QUOTE]
Notnot

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones