• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SMS sent repeatedly, burned through all of my credit

HTC Wildfire S

Android 2.3.3, HTC Sense 2.1

I sent a text in the weekend and it failed delivery. Later on I found out from the recipient that I had sent them the SMS over 100 times.

Logged in to my phone provider's website to check it out, looks like the message was sent about 200 times, and it burned through all of my available credit.

Called phone company, they say that it's not their network's fault and that it's probably a glitch in the software on my phone. Rang HTC, they have absolutely nothing to offer me, other than the suggestion that I clear the messages off my phone.

Who is to blame here? Is it Android? HTC? My phone company?

Has anybody else heard of this problem? Is there a real solution to this? Are the people responsible for fixing this bug actually aware of it?

I have absolutely no confidence in this phone. If I put more money on it, who is to say it wont happen again?

surprising your provider didn't work with you as it should have been fairly clear that this was a glitch... especially since txt messages cost them essentially nothing. who is your provider? i would try again until i got someone else a bit more helpful.

moving forward you could try using a txt app such as handscent which has some tools you can use to try and prevent this sort of thing in the future. ymmv - i have unlimited txts through Sprint (came with the data plan, i would never pay for unlimited txt messages) so i'm not really sure how well it works.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones