• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help SMS / Text Messages disappeared HTC DESIRE history gone

Completely useless response from HTC - this is the message I got this morning, though have replied expressing my anger...

Thank you for contacting HTC Europe. I understand that your messages got cancelled. I understand that you have already checked the settings and the phone was not set to cancel the messages automatically. Unfortunately, unless you had a third party application, it is not possible to retrieve the SMS that got cancelled. For the future I would suggest you to download a third party application from the market place to allow you to back up all your SMS. I am sorry that you have lost your messages. Do not hesitate to contact us again in the future if required.

Upvote 0
I amo sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the reply. The reason why the messages got cancelled is because of a bug. You can try and perform a hard reset to avoid that the same problem happens again, but as currently we cannot guarantee that the same problem will happen again in the future I would suggest you to downalod a third partu application to back up your messages. We are aware of the problem and we are working on it. If you decide to hard reset the phone to refresh the operating system and remove bags, please remember to BACK UP all your personal data as the hard reset will cancel everything stored on the phone.

I won't be doing a reset; I fail to see how a reset would affect this in any way. Have followed it up with more questions; what actions they are taking to fix the bug, a timescale for that fix, and what they have done to inform their customers that their personal data may disappear because of a bug in their software.

Upvote 0
I woke up this morning to every single one of my texts missing. I am baffled as to what to do. I called my phone service provider, Verizon, and they were no help at all. I can't wait for the customer service folks to call me back so I can give my opinion as to the type of service I received (none!)!!!!

I get the feeling they started doing this in one fell swoop, since there seems to be a sudden surge of people reporting deleted messages. I'm not sure who to call, but I'm going to head over to the verizon store later today. I can't believe they'd delete messages without installing a warning, or giving us the option to download our messages before deleting! I have no way of tracking quite a few people, since I only interact with them via phone. I also have other people's emails, phone numbers, and pertinent information that's been forwarded to me since I began using my phone (an incredible, that's really not that incredible!). All this makes me miss my iphone- which, by the way, has never deleted my messages, even after I dropped my services with AT&T. If they can't resolve this, I'll drop the text option from my plan and go back to AT&T with a texting and wireless data plan and just use the htc for phone calls, then get rid of the droid and head to a new phone service that is droid free.

Rant is over. Does anyone have a solution? If so, please post!

Thanks!

Upvote 0
This just happened to me today, using the HTC Droid Incredible. Using handcent, but they're all missing from the stock app too. I had well over a thousand texts from the past 6 months of use.

I've never heard of this issue before, scary to see it's a bit more widespread than I would've though. Anyone have a good recommendation for backing up SMS/MMS in case this happens again?

Upvote 0
Anyone have a good recommendation for backing up SMS/MMS in case this happens again?

I use My Backup Pro (it's a paid app but there is a free 30 day trial available in the market place too) and was able to reinstate from that very easily so only lost a day's messages when this happened to me. I definitely recommend it and it backs up your phone entirely....contacts, calendar, music, phone settings, bookmarks, not just your SMS/MMS data.

Upvote 0
Same thing with HTC Desire HD. All messages gone. Checked HTC sense, they're still there. Checked again a couple of hours later....Gone from there too. I've had more problems with this phone doing random things over which I have no control. Battery life crap, video incapable of writing to SD card quickly enough, Frequent forced closures and so on and so on. I am completely and utterly pissed off with it. I am stuck with this phone for 2 years but will never buy another HTC. Period. Sort the product out before you bring it to market.

Upvote 0
Happened to my Desire HD today. It is running the stock messaging app from HTC Sense. Oddly enough, I think it also happened a few days after I first got the phone. However, I didn't have alot of messages then so I didn't think much of it. Now I have installed the back to gmail app but it is too late for my messages. HTC Hub still has them listed though.

This is happening to a range of phone models over various carriers. Must be an O/S issue.

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus. My Desire deleted every single one of around 6000 messages, both sent and received, in one go on Saturday night.

I'm using the stock messages app, and have no 3rd party add on app even installed.

Seems this has just started happening over the last week or two. Apologies to the regulars - it must be very annoying have a bunch of 1 post newbies chiming in, but on the plus side, if it helps show there's an issue, then perhaps it's not such a bad thing.

Upvote 0
I e-mailed the HTC support line and I eventually got a reply (after the eventual reply asking me for specific software details) and they basically just told me there was an OTA software update available. Which there was. And which I have installed...but I never expected this to bring my messages back...yet this is the sort of conclusion it appears the support ticket advisor expected?! Maybe the update will solve this problem in the future? (I'm not taking any risks now though as I've got a SMS/MMS backup app to run every 5 days) but after the initial response from the support team asking for more specific phone details, which I was happy to provide, it appears their stock response is just "we don't really know what happened or why, and we don't have a reason for it, BUT here's an OTA update anyway - but we're not going to tell you anything about what the update is for or what is contains"

All I can advise for anyone is to backup EVERYTHING and ANYTHING that you can on your phone! I use a free app called SMS Backup and Restore from the Market. It has adds but I don't mind! (you can donate and remove)

Upvote 0
Well that's a nice way to start 2011 .........(is being facetious)

This has just happened to me AGAIN!! Restored from my backup file of course so only lost half a day's communication in real terms but that is not the point. There does not seem to be any specific factor governing this and HTC are scratching their heads from the responses others have posted. I am sad the fact it happens at all makes my once shiny and amazing phone flawed and less trustworthy. :(

Upvote 0
[PROBLEM]

Woke up and all my messages had gone bar 3 - As the day went on my entire message screen went blank asthough I had no messages but on my "Message" icon it showed the symbol for 2 new messages.

[SOLUTION]
Go to Settings --> Accounts & Sync - Look for "HTC Sense"

If its there - Click it and click "Remove Account" - Dont worry you can re-add later and you wont lose anything.

If its not there - click "Add Account" - Then follow the steps to add the HTC Sense Account. Once you have added it - restart your phone and then go back to settings click "HTC Sense" and remove the account.

Restart your phone - all messages should be back - then if you wish Re-Add HTC Sense but I wouldnt bother its problematic at this stage.

Upvote 0
[PROBLEM]

Woke up and all my messages had gone bar 3 - As the day went on my entire message screen went blank asthough I had no messages but on my "Message" icon it showed the symbol for 2 new messages.

[SOLUTION]
Go to Settings --> Accounts & Sync - Look for "HTC Sense"

If its there - Click it and click "Remove Account" - Dont worry you can re-add later and you wont lose anything.

If its not there - click "Add Account" - Then follow the steps to add the HTC Sense Account. Once you have added it - restart your phone and then go back to settings click "HTC Sense" and remove the account.

Restart your phone - all messages should be back - then if you wish Re-Add HTC Sense but I wouldnt bother its problematic at this stage.

I tried that one, and it didn't work.
I also tried the suggestion to remove your battery for 10 minutes and then try again. That also didn't work.

When I woke up this morning all my messages was gone (2011/01/10) and I've tried so much to bring my messages back, but nothing works.

I got an HTC Desire Z, got it like 2 weeks ago.

Help, please?

Upvote 0
The same thing happened to me today! For the record I have an HTC Desire on T-Mobile. I don't use any third party SMS apps just the built in functionality.

Really annoyed that all my history is gone.

I guess this is lost for good now and that there is no way of getting the messages back.

David

I did get mine back after some hours of trying to fix it. I tried so many thing that I don't know what made them recover.. lol

Upvote 0
Hi there
this is my first post and I found this forum during my search trying to solve this issue
however, thishappened to my phone 2 months ago and aftr couple of days i found all messeges back in my phone (HTC Desire HD)
we can't do anything but waiting for HTC to solve this issue apart from the fast draining of battery
Regqards to all

Upvote 0
My messages dissappeared from my HTC Desire HD (only had it a month), well most of them last weekend, there are still some on the sim card but they have dates like 1970 etc. however there seems to be messages on the phone from before the date when they were deleted if you open a conversation.

I was not running handscent but was running AVG anti virus, have installed handscent - no result, turned off and removed the battery and no result.

I am waiting on the messages to reappear as they seem to be in the phone somewhere just that they are not showing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones