• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

So I returned my Captivate today...

IMEI (minus last 4): 35186304074xxxx
Manuf Date (from Samsung Registration): ?
Purchase Date: July 21, 2010 AT&T via 800 service phone order.
Firmware Version: 2.1-update1
Baseband version: I897UCJF6
Kernel Version: 2.6.29 jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2

Hope that helps.

Issues: SLow to lock on GPS
Off track GPS
Overheats
Battery drain quickly if used for games and such (as in 1.5 hours?) brings down to 15% battery life.

Upvote 0
IMEI (minus last 4): 35186304074xxxx
Manuf Date (from Samsung Registration): ?
Purchase Date: July 21, 2010 AT&T via 800 service phone order.

Hope that helps.

Issues: SLow to lock on GPS
Off track GPS
Overheats
Battery drain quickly if used for games and such (as in 1.5 hours?) brings down to 15% battery life.

This is your original, right?

T

Upvote 0
I unplugged my phone at 8:20 this morning and I'm at 34%. Used it to surf the web, use the navigations for directions from my house to hunnington beach and from the beach to my hotel at Disneyland. Also took some pictures at the beach. I find it that my battery is A ok. When I bought the phone I let it completly die out till when it turned off by itself. I'll let it do that every few charges.

Upvote 0
I unplugged my phone at 8:20 this morning and I'm at 34%. Used it to surf the web, use the navigations for directions from my house to hunnington beach and from the beach to my hotel at Disneyland. Also took some pictures at the beach. I find it that my battery is A ok. When I bought the phone I let it completly die out till when it turned off by itself. I'll let it do that every few charges.

Might not be a good idea to do it that often...

Upvote 0
This is your original, right?

T

I am not sure what you mean? My first Captivate phone? Yes. If something else?

I am leaning - sadly to having ATT replace it with an iphone. I am quite overall pleased with this phone, tech support has not been great - learned more from these boards than from tech support.

I do not like the overheating at all, but I really like the swype feature.

I feel (today, and it could easily change tomorrow) that maybe the droid is just not quite up to the level of iphones at this time. I think that it's very possible that in a year or so, they will be on equal footing. I am sitting here wondering if I should be a 'pioneer' and suffer along the way, or come back in a year or so (18 mos) and jump on the much more polished bandwagon.

I am not an equipment nerd/geek - so I do all the widgets and other things - I just want my music and pictures - easily, and I want my phone to work when I need it, same with GPS, and other things.

I think the Captivate is great product, but it's still a step or two behind.

Hey no offense to equipment gees/nerds - either - I am a nerd/geek at other stuff - so it's a wash - sort of.

Hope this makes sense.

Upvote 0
Battery update: 45 hours since initial full charge, 23% left on the battery. Today's usage was about 30 mins of phone calls, wifi on all day, push email on 8a-5p, showing youtube to a few people, and about 1 hour of using the media player.

For the record the only thing I did was turn all the brightness down to the lowest, non-auto, turn the browser brightness to the lowest, and set my wallpaper to the static black one with the bright dots, wifi to never sleep. I didn't install task killer or launcher pro or any of that stuff. I have some apps installed, fancy widget without gps, google voice, but it's all the same stuff and same settings I had before.

jas2k9 - just go exchange for another captivate dude. I love it now. Everything works on this one except gps (unless there's something else I forgot to test lol) . I love my phone now that I have one of the good ones!

Upvote 0
wouldn't the MAJOR issue be possible software differences between "first batch" phones and one's made thereafter? if that was the case, wouldn't there be some sort of update? i doubt that a phone made 10 days after first batch is really any different....as far as batteries they do take a bit to become "conditioned"...and part of that is conditioning yourself to not be using the phone 24/7 :)

Well to be honest with you, the first run of anything from electronics usually has problems that are ironed out in the first 2 weeks as they ramp up production. They are also under pressure to get it to the stores on time, so quality control is sometimes accidentally overlooked.

Upvote 0
I need to take back my Captivate, but I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. I love my captivate and android, but I don't like Samsung as a company and there are way too many issues with this phone.

The way I see it, I have 3 options:
1) Exchange Captivate for a new one, and just be patient. Wait for the updates, fixes, and bugs to be worked out. With the way Samsung has acted with this situation and in the past, I'm not sure if all of those bugs will be fixed by Samsung.

2) Exchange Captivate for iPhone 4. Use the iPhone in the meantime while waiting until a nice HTC or Motorola comes to AT&T or a GSM Canadian carrier. Ebay the iPhone, get the HTC/Motorola, and hopefully Gingerbread will be out by then. I think this seems like the best scenario.

3) Return the Captivate, pay the $200 or so in early termination fees for the other lines on the plan, switch to Sprint and get the evo 4g. I'd be getting the best phone out there as well as the cheapest plan of the big 4 carriers. Win win.

Whichever of these options I choose, they will all wind up with me eventually getting another android phone. I really would prefer to stay away from the iPhone, just I feel it is the best option right now, while I wait for a better Android phone to come out.

This sucks, I waited so long for a decent Android phone to come to AT&T. I guess that waiting game will have to continue again.

Upvote 0
Unless there was a hardware difference.

Both are checkable under Settings>About Phone
Maybe we should list up versions/builds and compare with those who have swapped?

I doubt there's a software difference.
Hardware, I dunno, MAYBE...

I'll Start:
IMEI (minus last 4): 35186304025xxxx
Manuf Date (from Samsung Registration): July 4, 2010
Purchase Date: July 19, 2010 AT&T Corporate Store, So Florida

T

I have the exact same hardware/firmware specs with yours. Everything seem to be operating normal and better now after fessing with its battery life for 2 weeks. Now 27 hours has elapsed since last unplugged and battery level is at 58%. :) Lookin' good. :)

Baseband Version: I897UCJF6
Kernel version: 2.6.29
jetaek.lee@sep-11 #2

Upvote 0
I need to take back my Captivate, but I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. I love my captivate and android, but I don't like Samsung as a company and there are way too many issues with this phone.

The way I see it, I have 3 options:
1) Exchange Captivate for a new one, and just be patient. Wait for the updates, fixes, and bugs to be worked out. With the way Samsung has acted with this situation and in the past, I'm not sure if all of those bugs will be fixed by Samsung.

2) Exchange Captivate for iPhone 4. Use the iPhone in the meantime while waiting until a nice HTC or Motorola comes to AT&T or a GSM Canadian carrier. Ebay the iPhone, get the HTC/Motorola, and hopefully Gingerbread will be out by then. I think this seems like the best scenario.

3) Return the Captivate, pay the $200 or so in early termination fees for the other lines on the plan, switch to Sprint and get the evo 4g. I'd be getting the best phone out there as well as the cheapest plan of the big 4 carriers. Win win.

Whichever of these options I choose, they will all wind up with me eventually getting another android phone. I really would prefer to stay away from the iPhone, just I feel it is the best option right now, while I wait for a better Android phone to come out.

This sucks, I waited so long for a decent Android phone to come to AT&T. I guess that waiting game will have to continue again.

Cant you just return captivate and use the phone you were using previously thats what i am doing. I will wait and see what happens with samsung and see if they plan on supporting phone or not.

Upvote 0
The big problem for me is the wireless connection just dropping constantly, even when I am sitting right in front of the router (both at home and work). maddening. I exchanged the initial captivate for another one.

Same problem.

A smartphone without wireless data connectivity is useless. I had to switch it for an aria, which is a cute, snappy little phone but which has a 3.2" screen and no swype.

I could cancel my service and grab an incredible or droid 2 from verizon, but switching carriers is a pain in the arse and my partner loves iphones.

i may sit with the aria for a week or so and see how it goes, but i really do like the captivate.

Upvote 0
The big problem for me is the wireless connection just dropping constantly, even when I am sitting right in front of the router (both at home and work). maddening. I exchanged the initial captivate for another one.

Same problem.

A smartphone without wireless data connectivity is useless. I had to switch it for an aria, which is a cute, snappy little phone but which has a 3.2" screen and no swype.

I could cancel my service and grab an incredible or droid 2 from verizon, but switching carriers is a pain in the arse and my partner loves iphones.

i may sit with the aria for a week or so and see how it goes, but i really do like the captivate.

Thats good to know i am not the only one that had issues with the wifi, seems like the 3g signal and wifi are both fairly weak. I was gettting the wifi dropping to one bar while standing 10-15 away from the router as well.

Upvote 0
I am now a proud iPhone 4 owner, don't get me wrong I loved my captivate but it was just some stuff I couldn't stand, and as I'm posting this post with my iPhone 4 I'm glad I have it, I have had 3 android phones and every iPhone so I'm not a crazy apple fanboy lol, but I have to say I like the apple app store more and the quality of the apps. I will be getting another capivate when they are cheaper. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones