• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root So is my new rezound a brick

tkisner

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
I got my Rezound last Sunday. This morning I unlocked it, flashed amon_ra recovery, rooted it, and flashed liquid smooth v3.2 onto it.

The phone would not boot past the HTC screen. After a searching online for a while I realized the issues there is because it was still S-ON. So I tried the tutorial which I found online for installing ROMS with S-ON still, but it did not work.

At this point I figured going back to stock was my best bet, because I had spent several hours on it, and didn't want to make things any worse.

I relocked it, then tried to flash an RUU. Lo and behold it turns out my phone is too advanced, per a post on here by Scotty85 because my phone is H-Boot 2.28 and Radio 2.23.10.0123r/2.23.10.0124r I actually have have to unlock my bootloader again, install a recovery, and flash 4.05.605.14 rom in recovery.

The issue is while in command prompt my computer no longer recognizes my phone. After I did everything this morning I uninstalled HTC Sync thinking I wouldn't be needed it. I'm assuming the drivers are now missing for the phone on my computer. I re-installed HTC Sync, but because my phone can't get past the screen with bootloader, fastboot, etc on it it never syncs up with HTC Sync.

Anyone know what my next step should be? It's readily apparent i'm not an expert with this stuff so any help would be super helpful.

Your device is not bricked, you just can't talk to it for some reason...

There are many things you did wrong here, the first being using Amon Ra, which is fine for ICS based ROMs, but anything newer (JB&KK) you should use TWRP 2.8.1.1. There is also no RUU for the current version, meaning the one you have, and you cannot downgrade without being S-OFF.

You should get a copy of the latest TWRP, extract the recovery.img to your platform tools directory (ie. 'adb' or 'fastboot' directory). Now boot your device into hboot and start fastboot, then connect the USB cable. Try entering "fastboot devices" you should get a response... if not, disconnect the USB and try another port, if still no response, look in device manager for an "ADB..." device, right click and select update drivers and use the HTC ones.

Once you can talk to the device, BOOT twrp, you can flash it if you wish but it's not going to help at the moment... you boot twrp by entering "fastboot boot recovery.img" and waiting for TWRP to start, once this is done, go to Wipes, Advanced and tick everything except internal and external (SD) storage, and wipe it, now go home and install the LiquidSmooth Rom and Gapps package, then reboot. You should be good to go.

Upvote 0
Not a problem. I really appreciate the help. The Rezound seems like a real quality powerful phone, but most of the guides etc. For it all seem to be somewhat dated.

Right now I am one problem away from the phone being perfect. There seems to be an issue with the storage. It has internal storage as 2.34gb which I believe is right, but it does not have the 10+GB of internal storage available anywhere. Instead it says the sdcard is my external one. Any app that uses storage says external storage required and force closes. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
Not a problem. I really appreciate the help. The Rezound seems like a real quality powerful phone, but most of the guides etc. For it all seem to be somewhat dated.

Right now I am one problem away from the phone being perfect. There seems to be an issue with the storage. It has internal storage as 2.34gb which I believe is right, but it does not have the 10+GB of internal storage available anywhere. Instead it says the sdcard is my external one. Any app that uses storage says external storage required and force closes. Any thoughts?
A common issue with the Rezound, fixable only 50% of the time though... usually requires S-Off and a full downgrade/upgrade to fix, or at minimum S-Off and running an EXE RUU (not flashing a ph98img). I suggest heading over to XDA's Rezound forum for assistance in going S-Off and following REV3NT3CH's Full Downgrade/Upgrade guide in the Q&A section.

The Rezound is a decent phone, but like most early LTE phones the battery life is its biggest problem and it's pathetic, even with an extended battery it doesn't come close to my Nexus 4's battery life and its only average by today's standards.

Do you use it on VZW or a GSM carrier?

Upvote 0
I spend most of my time at work with it plugged in so the battery isn't too much of an issue. It only cost me $70 total no upgrade or anything involved, so for that b price I'll definitely take the tradeoff.

I'll give s-off and all that a try and hopefully it will work out. Out of curiosity do you do this for a living? You are a wealth of knowledge to say the least.

Upvote 0
I spend most of my time at work with it plugged in so the battery isn't too much of an issue. It only cost me $70 total no upgrade or anything involved, so for that b price I'll definitely take the tradeoff.

I'll give s-off and all that a try and hopefully it will work out. Out of curiosity do you do this for a living? You are a wealth of knowledge to say the least.
Lol... No, not for a living, but I am a technician in the telecom/VoIP industry, android is just a hobby.

Upvote 0
hello, pls I have a HTC rezound from Verizon that I just flashed to liquidsmooth custom. but during the backup I think I did something wrong that I couldn't enter recovery mode, but with the help of 4ext recovery I was able to flash back a recovery I downloaded and I flashed the ROM to liquid smooth. everything went well and the ROM also came with its own root access, but I wasn't satisfied so I try to use vroot again when I lost the root access. now I can't enter recovery mode and I don't have root access anymore to flash a recovery. and again each time I boot to fastboot and enter recovery from there, my HTC will stuck at HTC logo still I have to remove the battery and reboot normal. I can use the phone, but I don't have root access and I can't enter recovery mode. I have also tried the PC stuff each respond I get from the terminal cmd was "failed: not allowed". thanks and I hope to get a quick respond soon.

Upvote 0
Boot TWRP from fastboot (Don't flash it), wipe everything except internal and external storage, flash ROM and Gapps, reboot and enjoy.

Remember if your Rezound is S-on you can't just flash a ROM from the recovery installed on your device, you must manually flash the boot.img with fastboot... If you BOOT recovery via fastboot then flash ROM, or are S-Off, this doesn't apply.

Also, if a ROM is pre-rooted, do not try to root with a tool, you will frequently get what happened to you. The only smart way to change root is by flashing directly via recovery... Although it is rarely necessary in a pre-rooted ROM.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones