• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Software constantly running

G

grosser

Hello all,

I am curious as to what I can do to fix this issue. I am running 2.1 on Sprint HTC Hero. several applications are constantly running in the backround even though I have killed the apps with task killers. Most of these are applications are installed by Sprint, and I have no need/use for them; like NFL, Stocks, Sprint TV, etc. Also footprints constantly runs even after being killed. How do I get these to stop for good???? Or delete them if possible? Is this something that can only be done after rooting the phone, or is there another way.

If rooting is the only way, is there a root for the 2.1 Hero? I know that there was one for the 1.5, but 2.1 changed how things work I guess. Not sure.

Thanks!

Hello all,

I am curious as to what I can do to fix this issue. I am running 2.1 on Sprint HTC Hero. several applications are constantly running in the backround even though I have killed the apps with task killers. Most of these are applications are installed by Sprint, and I have no need/use for them; like NFL, Stocks, Sprint TV, etc. Also footprints constantly runs even after being killed. How do I get these to stop for good???? Or delete them if possible? Is this something that can only be done after rooting the phone, or is there another way.

If rooting is the only way, is there a root for the 2.1 Hero? I know that there was one for the 1.5, but 2.1 changed how things work I guess. Not sure.

Thanks!

Yes, rooting is the only way to remove stock apps. The original 2.1 can be rooted, but I think root access was taken away with one of the updates. But I think it is still possible to regain root access by installing the original 2.1 again if you have done the updates.

Upvote 0
I also don't agree that ignoring them is going to stop them from running (or better put, that they should be ignored). They can be ignored (and some should) but I've read a lot of info on this and believe that those programs _do_ drain the battery in one or more ways.

The ones I shut down are the ones that the phone provider has set to load. In my case the Amazon MP3, Slacker and a couple of others always load. If my phone starts to slow down I kill those apps and it speeds back up. Advance Task Manager can also be set to automatically kill apps when they are not being used (which is what you'd want to consider, OP). Personally I don't do this as I'd consider it a drastic action.

Upvote 0
Task killers are not necessary, but there are some apps that are not well programmed and refuse to sleep... then you need the task killer... However, I consider that all that Sprint crappy bloatware must be deleted from the phone... They constantly start and keep running in the background...

I have advanced task killer installed, but the automatic killing is turned off. Right now there is 5 apps "running" in background. Gmail, Dolphin Browser, Messages and Seven. From those, I think that messages is the only one I don't need. But it keeps starting itself. Probably the OS is starting it... who knows. The thing is that it does not affect the performance of the phone since these apps are really dormant. Only the services run from time to time to fetch emails and other stuff...

Upvote 0
The real question at hand is if the apps are just open or if they are open AND running. There is a BIG difference between the two!

First: If you have not read up about task killers, you can do so HERE. That being said, I have one installed and use it when I encounter a rogue app.

Second: Download Spare Parts from the market and under "Battery History" check "Partial Wake/Since Last Unplugged." If these apps ARE running (and not just open) it should show up on that list.

Third: Some of the apps (reportedly calendar and footprints) CAN keep the phone awake and won't allow the phone to sleep properly. Those need to be killed if you are affected by the wake issue.

Finally: Root IS available for 2.1, read up on it HERE assuming you didn't install the 6/4 OTA update.

Hopefully we'll get everything figured out for your! :)

Reactions: joseamirandavelez
Upvote 0
Yes, rooting is the only way to remove stock apps. The original 2.1 can be rooted, but I think root access was taken away with one of the updates. But I think it is still possible to regain root access by installing the original 2.1 again if you have done the updates.

Instead of rooting and removing the stock apps I don't want, like Sprint TV, I've been killing them with the process manager in ASTRO.

Question, though:

Why does the Sprint TV app INSIST on resurrecting itself and running, even without a hard or soft reboot of the phone???

Related question:

Does anyone know if entering/exiting Airplane Mode makes the stock apps resurrect in this way?

ARGH!

P.S. I found this thread, but it's all about an arcane UNIX root issue and Sprint TV, not really applicable to my question....

- Astro

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones