• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help [Solved] HTC Desire Vibrations Dead!

UsManyDead

Lurker
Jun 10, 2011
Hello. My problem is with the phone's vibrator. 2 or more weeks ago I got the same problem, when I dropped my phone from the bed tot the floor (aprox. 40 cm height), it stopped vibrating for feedback, messages and calls. At that time, I thing I either turned it off and removed battery or just do a reboot, but it started working again until 3 days ago. Since then it stopped working completely. I tried turning it off, reboot, removing the battery for 15 min., nothing worked. I have no vibration feedback (for example when I type a phone number or message), no message receiving vibration, no incoming calls vibration and not even when I turn on/reboot the device does my phone vibrate(it was a small vibration when you turned on the phone). Today I thought I should first try to change my ROM prior to trying to replace the faulty vibrator, but when I selected to reboot to recovery, my phone rebooted and vibrated at the beginning, so I thought the bug is gone. I went back in to the phone and I had: vibrate feedback (typing a phone number), message vibrate, didn't have time to test the call vibration because after I received 2 messages the vibration stopped once again. So now I'm baffled: is it because of the ROM (NO - I already changed the ROM), is it a glitch/bug from the motherboard or is the vibrator almost "dead"? If anyone had this issue and can help me fix the bug I would be really thankful.
My phone is S-OFF, rooted, with CM10 | Jelly Bean 4.1.2 - v2.8 (had a different ROM before this and try to change it, thinking it's a soft problem - no success).
Tried everything that's been said: hardreset (when I installed the new ROM - I whipped everything besides card (4EXT whipped) and battery status), different applications that will force the vibration with no success.
Now I'm thinking it might be a hardware problem meaning that the vibrator is almost dead (in the best case scenario). Since my guarantee is long gone, I must repair it myself. But I want to ask the question maybe somebody else had the same issue, and if someone replaced their vibrator?

Thank you very much.

L.E.: I've just noticed another anomaly: my phone jumps from 82%-85% battery to full when I'm charging it. Might this have something to do with the vibrator? How can I fix this problem? Thanks.

To be honest, I suspect hardware damage - a bad contact and so intermittent operation. Given that the problem started after a drop that seems the obvious answer. You could install a stock ROM if you want to be absolutely sure it isn't software, but you've already changed ROM once so I doubt very much that it's that.

I can't see how the battery thing is related to the lack of vibration. I'd guess bad calibration or old battery.

Sorry not to have any solution.

Upvote 0
To be honest, I suspect hardware damage - a bad contact and so intermittent operation. Given that the problem started after a drop that seems the obvious answer. You could install a stock ROM if you want to be absolutely sure it isn't software, but you've already changed ROM once so I doubt very much that it's that.

I can't see how the battery thing is related to the lack of vibration. I'd guess bad calibration or old battery.

Sorry not to have any solution.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure either if the battery has anything to do with the vibrator (especially after reinstalling another ROM). From what I've seen in the videos of disassembling the HTC Desire, the vibrator ain't soldered to the mainboard, but it has two legs that make contact with some pads on the mainboard, so it won't be hard to check on those. I'll try and see, because the vibrator is located on the left-down side of the phone, and there are only two screws.

On the other hand if it could be from the battery (I did a recalibrate when I installed my first custom ROM) - the fact is that recently I noticed this jump from aprox. 85% to full battery, and sometimes the phone shutdown at 10% battery - the how do I recalibrate the battery again? Should I wipe battery stats from recovery (currently on CWM 2.5.0.7 - I believe, I will check), or is there another, more safe way to do this?

Thank you once again.

Upvote 0
I've solved the problem. I decided to open it up, thinking it is a hardware problem (and as you said too), and take a look at it. I've blended the two legs a bit more to make sure they get a perfect connection to the the motherboard and voila. It is working fully.
Thanks for your help.

Hello UsManyDead
Firstly I apologize for bothering you with this matter. I am experiencing the same problem, I dropped the phone and vibrations stopped working after that. I could see in your messages that you could solve the problem, just I am not understood very well how you do it because the english is not my native language. I have some technical knowledge about electronic devices and tools to open it up. I would appreciate if you could give me more details on how it could solve this problem and excuse by my English.

atten. marcel

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones