• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help (Solved) Mobile Hotspot Doesn't Work with Ubuntu Machine

ragnarkar

Jan 20, 2011
Southern California
Not sure if I should post this to the Evo V 4G forums or the Ubuntu forums but here we go..

My UVerse gateway suddenly died on me today.. (no power lights, just spontaneously dead like a doornail.)

In an emergency move, I signed up for the Mobile Hotspot service on my Evo V 4G (currently working at home and cannot afford to lose any customers due to the internet outage.)

I'm able to connect to the Wifi from the Mobile Hotspot using my Windows machines but not my Ubuntu (Linux) machine.. well, the wifi connects but the browser is stuck on "Resolving host" whenever I visit a website. Skype also connects but that's pretty much the only app that works on my Linux machine here.

Any ideas why certain internet apps work while others don't on this particular machine? I might head over to the Linux forums and ask them too but I'm going for broke here and hoping someone has a clue...

Solution (in Ubuntu)

1) open a terminal, execute: sudo gedit /etc/resolv.conf
2) change the line nameserver xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx to nameserver 8.8.8.8
3) Save and reboot!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones