• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Some advice from S3 users Please...

ChriSwiz

Lurker
Jul 4, 2012
Hi.

I am thinking of upgrading from my current HTC Desire to the Galaxy S3 but have been slightly put of by reports of high data usage. I only use about 250Mb of data at the moment as I use WiFi most of the time.

I am thinking of getting a 1Gb data plan but have heard that the android system alone is likely to use this and more.

Could anyone tell me if a 1Gb data plan is realistic or, from your collective experience, am I likely to go over this (or have to turn 3G off halfway through the month).

Thanks in Advance.

ChriSwiz

I have a 500Mb data contract and this is what the results look like so far, though it needs to be remembered I am still in the "Honeymoon Period" when I can hardly put the thing down! I anticipate normal usage will be the same as my S2 which never went above 500MB.

Attachments

• Samsung Galaxy 3 Data Usage Mobile 5.7.12.jpg
    Samsung Galaxy 3 Data Usage Mobile 5.7.12.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 155
  • Samsung Galaxy 3 Data Usage WiFi 5.7.12.jpg
    Samsung Galaxy 3 Data Usage WiFi 5.7.12.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
I'm at 175mb in just 5 days, phone is a couple of days off a month old, so I've already downloaded and updated everything I need.

For that 175mb the top offenders are browsers, play store, and maps.

From June 7th - June 30th I used 2.02gb, good thing I'm on an unlimited plan. I never got in the hang of waiting until I was on wifi to update stuff. But a large amount of data is consumed by surfing, for me.

Upvote 0
Hello all,

just a quick thank you to everyone who has replied to my original question.

The latest is that I have signed up for a contract with 1Gb of data. I plan to only run updates and use the play store etc when on WiFi.

I'll keep track of my mobile data usage and post back on here with an update just in case anyone else is worried about data limits and so on.

Thanks again,

ChriSwiz.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones