• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some advice needed

steven78

Lurker
Feb 11, 2014
Hi everyone this is my first post here so bear with me lol

I have had my S2 i9100 for a while now. It is rooted with a custom ROM on it.
Lately I have had a problem with it charging. When I put it on the charger it will say its charging but it won't actually charge.
I have tried a couple of different batteries, 2 different ROMs and even a couple of different cables and I still get the same problem.
Could this be a charge port problem?
I wanted to get peoples opinion before I went and purchased one to replace it.

Thanks in advance for any info and advice to help with my situation

If you're "charging" with the phone turned on, that's the problem. The phone will draw just about enough current to charge the phone. If the phone is on, the phone is using that current and there's nothing left to charge the battery. Turn the phone off while you're charging it.

If the phone were drawing as much or more power than it was using for charging, it would be very hot. If the phone doesn't get hot while charging, then this is not the issue. Plus, the only way a phone can draw that much power is for everything ... screen, radios, GPS, CPU, GPU ... everything to be on at the same time. You can see this happen in a phone being used for GPS navigation in a car while making calls using a car charger, but it rarely happens otherwise.

Are you using samsung cables when trying different ones?
Ive read that the samsung ones are wired differently with two pins shorted and if you dont use that, it will trickle charge.
Charging with the phone booted is fine

I think that inexpensive USB cables leave pin #5 open where many OEM cables use it for ground. That's just from a vague recollection of the standard pinouts which I'm too lazy to look up right now. (Just finished shoveling a foot of snow.) If the OP has already tried different cables and different batteries, I think we have to go for the worst and say it's a defect with the charging circuitry. Time to send it in for repair. :(

Upvote 0
I habitually charged my S2 whilst on, as it was my backup alarm clock, and it reached 100% no bother. I used both the original cable and one from an old HTC Desire Z (two chargers, one each side of the bed). I agree with Luna... having ruled out the usual suspects, the only remaining culprit is the handset itself.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones