• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Some info to get me started

gezh

Jul 12, 2009
Hi all.

I'm a java developer of almost 10 years, and have decided to start learning Android development. I just have a couple of really basic questions to help point me in the best direction before I take the plunge.

1) I understand from my initial reading that Android is dependent on Linux. In what way? If a device comes with the Android OS, is that a version of Linux, or does it contain a Linux like kernel?

2) What development environment should I use? I was going to use Linux as I enjoy it, although I see that there is a download for Windows too. In that case, is it really dependent on Linux?!

3) I'm going to get a new phone soon. If I get a phone which uses the Android OS, and then I do some development and build an application, will I be able to load my apps onto the phone for my own use? Or will it depend on the contract provider?

Hope this all makes sense, thanks for reading.

1. Android is a version of Linux; much like Ubuntu, Fedora etc...

2. You'll want to use the Android SDK available from Google. Android 1.5 SDK, Release 2 | Android Developers So, in short, the SDK is not dependent on Linux, just the OS itself.

3. You are able to install any apk you wish to your phone, as long as you enable Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources, from your phone, to allow said apks to be installed from the SD card.

Upvote 0
I'll just come out and say it. I'm not an Android dev; the most knowledge I have in programming is a few VB classes back in high school. The information I'm giving you is what I've picked up listening in on AF's devs in the IRC chat room.

As far as I can tell, you have to use the SDK to be able to gain access to Android exclusive APIs that are used in creating programs, as well as for compiling and debugging purposes. If you're into C and C++ you can check out the NDK which is used along side the SDK.

Upvote 0
Hi Swizz, thanks for that, it's clearer already.

So the SDK is not platform dependent. Is there a general theory is to the best to use, or is it purely a personal preference? What do most of the tutorials use?

Android development SDK is platform dependent just like any other app ... so you would need to download the SDK for the platform you use...

Download Android 1.5 SDK, Release 2

May 2009

Before downloading, please read the System Requirements document. As you start the download, you will also need to review and agree to the Terms and Conditions that govern the use of the Android SDK.

Platform Package Size MD5-Checksum

Windows android-sdk-windows-1.5_r2.zip 178346828 bytes ba54ac6bda45921d442b74b6de6ff6a9

Mac OS X (intel) android-sdk-mac_x86-1.5_r2.zip 169945128 bytes f4e06a5194410243f213d0177713d6c9

Linux (i386) android-sdk-linux_x86-1.5_r2.zip 165035130 bytes 1d3c3d099e95a31c43a7b3e6ae307ed3

For more information on this SDK release, read the Release Notes.

Upvote 0
Help! I can't even get the HelloAndriod application working :(

I have followed the instructions to the letter... Hello, World | Android Developers

The docs say:

The Eclipse plugin makes it very easy to run your applications:

1. Select Run > Run.
  2. Select "Android Application".
Well this didn't happen. I had to create a new Android run configuration manually, and all that happens is the emulator starts up with what looks like default settings. It just says 'Android' in the middle of the screen, with no sign of my Hello project.

Any ideas what's gone wrong? How can I view my app!

Upvote 0
Yes. It sounds like you're not waiting long enough.

If the emulator started up when you tried to run your app, then I think you're on the right track.

The emulator sometimes takes a VERY long time to boot (many minutes). It will eventually get to the Android home screen, and then it will run your app.

If your app does not run, pull open the application drawer and see if your app is listed in there. Post back your findings.

Scott

Upvote 0
1. Android is a version of Linux; much like Ubuntu, Fedora etc...

2. You'll want to use the Android SDK available from Google. Android 1.5 SDK, Release 2 | Android Developers So, in short, the SDK is not dependent on Linux, just the OS itself.

3. You are able to install any apk you wish to your phone, as long as you enable Settings > Applications > Unknown Sources, from your phone, to allow said apks to be installed from the SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones