• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Some Newbie Questions

So I rooted and customized my wife's Evo 4G.

Everything seems to work except for the built in wifi tether. I can set it up, get its SSID to show and even get two very different machines (Thinkpad w/Windows7HomePrem and MacBook with SnowLeopard) to claim to connect. However, the internet does not pass through. Please see my system configuration and installed apps below. Am I missing something? I spent a while searching the forums but seems hard to find this manifestation. Usually if someone has a problem with tether it doesn't get this far.

Also, would love some more general advice too
- A good widget to replicate Sense's favorite contacts widget (free preferably)
- Other modifications to make the phone more Sense-like (I want my wife to barely notice the change other than extended battery life)
- Other must have apps that I am missing
- Way to stop the text messages from coming with sprint visual voicemail (I know, Google Voice is better, but this is my wife's phone and I am trying to minimize the changes in her work flow for now...baby steps)

THANKS!!!

Core Stats:
- OS Version: 2.3.3
- Kernal: Tiamat v4.0.6SBC
- Custom Rom:Cyanogen 7.0.3.1
- Base Band: 2.15.00.19
- SetCPU: 2.2.4 Smartas
- Theme: System
- Recovery ClockworkMod v3.0.0.5

Installed Apps
- Rom Manager v4.2.0.2
- Astro
- Barcode Scanner
- Facebook
- Fancy Widgets
- Gmail
- HDMwIn
- Maps (Google)
- Market (came installed)
- MSL Reader
- WiMax RSA Key Checker
- Titanium Backup
- Sprint Visual Voicemail

welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!!!!
1.not sure on cm7 but are you trying it on 3g, wifi, or 4g? here read this:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...net-tethering-w-evo-4g-3g-wireless-wired.html. it might help
2.not sure on the sense widget
3.i use the beautiful widget to get the sense clock and weather widget. that is all i used to get the sense feel. i also like launcher pro as a launcher, but it is not sense so it will be different.
4.as far as other apps. main one is do not use rom manager it is way to buggy and will create more problems then it is worth. do everything manually.
5.read this:CM7 + Sprint VVM + Redlist : How to Fix your Notification Icon - xda-developers

if you are trying to get the sense feel then why dont you just go with sense roms. there is a ton of great sense roms out there. try mikg2.45 a very good rom, super stable and very fast. cm7 just takes a lot of tweeking to get everything right. but once that is done then it is a great rom. i'm just no sure if that is what you are looking for.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones