• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Some questions about GPS

Short version:
Is it only running if the icon is visible in the status bar (I'm on 4.1.2)? THey used to say to only turn it on when you need it to save battery, but I read that doesn't apply to 4.1+, so leaving it on all the time wouldn't affect battery? Can it run when the screen is off (ie, some sneaky app sending my location without me knowing)?

Longer version:
I use Cerberus in case I lose my phone, and because apps can't turn on GPS like they could in previous versions of Android, I thought I should just leave it on all the time because I wouldn't be able to turn GPS on remotely if I lost my phone (I have since found that if you're rooted other apps CAN turn GPS on).

I also use Llama (alongside Secure Settings), so I could set it to turn GPS on when I open Maps, My Tracks etc and then turn it off when I close those apps. Is there any point in going to all that effort, or should I just leave GPS on all the time?

THanks.

I personally just leave mine enabled all of the time. It really doesn't cause much, if any, drain when it's not in use. GPS can function while the screen is off; it's always good to pay close attention to which apps have permission to access the GPS just in case there's something asking for ridiculous permissions (like a flashlight app that needs access to GPS, mobile data, contacts, etc).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones