• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Something to help those in Japan!

Hi folks,

Complete newbie here, so please forgive any wrong assumptions. I'm very impressed with the apps that have been developed by members in this forum, and have yet to publish anything in the marketplace. As I'm sure you have too, I've been watching the pictures from Japan since the weekend, and I think it's safe to say that a state of emergency will exist for at least the next month.

While the apps developed here are incredibly useful (possbily even life changing), I think this community should be able to develop an application / application(s) which would be of even greater benefit to those missing loved ones / looking for information in the aftermath of this disaster.

Personally I would like to see an application to could tie in news & information with a map overlay. If it was possible to tie in with a list of people who are safe (possibly tie in with Google's people finder), I don't know, I'm open to ideas. But I think there's enough talent in this community to produce a powerful, co-ordinated, effective app that could have people in the light of this week's events.

If anyone (with more experience than I) is willing to work with me and others on this, please reply here. I have a CVS repos ready to go. I don't think it's too ambitious to have something produced by the end of the week, and maybe we can help some families who are missing loved ones.

kindest regards,

Michael.

- Paris

Reactions: amit_eighty8
Great idea! It might be hard to plot news data on the map (few news sources have geoposition, and a text search would land all hits on Fukushima).

But I can think of these features:
* a mapview of selected location, maybe with recent geotagged flickr-images that match searchphrase?
* a news reader view of a google news search rss, with searchphrase
* a webview of custom website ( Google Person Finder 2011 )

You could even have a list of disaster sites that populates the searchphrases, feeds and URLs , like Haiti, Japan-tsunami, Japan-fukushima, 911, Hiroshima, Rammstein .. and so on.. so that when a new disaster happens (it will unfortunately..) the same app can be used, with new data.

Comments? Other ideas?

Reactions: amit_eighty8
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones