• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Soon to be Desire Owner with Questions

Hello everyone I just signed up for these forums because soon I will be an HTC Desire owner in Canada. Having never owned a smartphone before I do have a few questions.

The plan I intend on signing up for is the Telus Student 40 and that will come with only 100mb of data. Now I don't see myself being too data using heavy so I feel like I will be able to live with it. However I do have some questions regarding my data consumption.

1. Is it possible to completely stop all data usage by somehow disabling the data connection if I find myself reaching my limit?
2. What are ways to track my data usage to make sure I don't use too much data?
3. What are good ways to conserve data usage? I'm getting the feeling that there are some applications that will constantly be sending data back and forth updating themselves, is it possible to have these applications but stop them from constantly updating and only have them update when I want to access the application? Which would I feel significantly cut down on data.

Other than the whole data situation I am very excited to be an HTC Desire owner, I heard that 2.2 will be coming out from Telus sometime soon? Any updates on 2.2 in Canada would be great.

Finally I have been researching a case and I feel like the best choice would be the Case Mate Torque Case which is available to be shipped from the U.S. If anyone has any other suggestions on cases that I are readily accessible in Canada that would be great as well. (I do see the Case topic above which has a lot of posts but I see that most of the links posted are for UK websites which won't work well for me here in Canada) I am also interested in just a plain pouch to put the phone in If I ever want to take my case off.

Thank you very much for everything, and for any responses to my many many questions. I'm just quite curious. Thanks.

1. Yes, there is a built in toggle you can add to the homepage, or you can do what lots of people do and download Switchpro or Extended Controls to get a whole set of toggles for things.

2. 3G watchdog and Stats are good programs for contract monitoring. 3G watchdog is good if you want it displayed on your homescreen, but Stats is more versatile.

3. You can set all applications that use data to only update manually in the settings for said apps. They also shouldn't update if you've toggled mobile data off as in point 1.

As for a pouch, I recommend either the official HTC one or the Krusell Luna. I have the latter myself.

Reactions: DesireInCanada
Upvote 0
Thanks for that info!

As for a pouch I saw HTC has two, one with the quick pull strap which supposedly ruins the finish on the back of the phone? And then the other standard one, and I still can't find anywhere to order these from in Canada, if anyone knows anything the help is appreciated

As well anyone have news on the 2.2 update from Telus?

Upvote 0
i got mine a couple of weeks ago and was very paranoid about data, but have found it really easy to control the settings limiting what uses data and when. you shouldn't have any worries there. I second the 3G watchdog recommendation - quick and clear - plus using easy toggle widgets for syncing and mobile network connection. But - part of the fun with a phone like this seems to rely on internet connectivity and the great functions/apps that use it, and 100mb will go VERY quickly if you want to use half of the phones functionality. Any other plans you could go for with a higher monthly allowance?

Upvote 0
i got mine a couple of weeks ago and was very paranoid about data, but have found it really easy to control the settings limiting what uses data and when. you shouldn't have any worries there. I second the 3G watchdog recommendation - quick and clear - plus using easy toggle widgets for syncing and mobile network connection. But - part of the fun with a phone like this seems to rely on internet connectivity and the great functions/apps that use it, and 100mb will go VERY quickly if you want to use half of the phones functionality. Any other plans you could go for with a higher monthly allowance?

Well I could go for a normal Smartphone plan giving me 500mb but that would cost about $10 more a month and giving up some of the other nice features of the Student plan. I know 100mb is not very much at all but I figure it's something right? I do realize that more data than 100mb is preferred and I would much enjoy it however the cost is very unappealing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones