• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sort of "New" Android User

tmog

Lurker
Dec 1, 2013
Hello,
I am attempting (at 56 years of age, long-term unemployed) to convert to Android operating system. I currently have an ASUS TF101 (3 years old I believe), but upgraded to 4.0.1.
I realize I may have to upgrade hardware to do some of what I envision for the future.

I want to learn how to:

Design websites

Find an office program (documents, spreadsheets, presentations) which will convert to .doc , .xls , etc so I can send them to colleagues and not have problems with them reading my creations.

Find a program so that I can write on the touch screen (for example using the S pen on a Samsung) into documents and have the cursive writing converted to text.

Be able to create .doc , .xls , etc templates so that, using an S-pen or other stylus, can simply pull up a template, write in the blank spaces, and create a finished document.

More clearly understand the virus/malware threat to Android systems and how to deal with them.

Yes, I've done considerable research, talked to Samsung people at Best Buy, and will start searching the FAQ's at the android forum site (I've never had any luck with FAQ's as I always seem to have questions/problems that nobody else has).

Any help, suggestions for apps, hardware, learning websites, etc would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
tmog

Welcome youngster. (I've got you by almost 12 years.)

I want to learn how to:

Design websites
Nothing to do with Android. At very least, learn HTML.

Find an office program (documents, spreadsheets, presentations) which will convert to .doc , .xls , etc so I can send them to colleagues and not have problems with them reading my creations.
There are Android Office-compatible programs. It depends on how much you want to spend (from free to ... well, cheaper than Office.)

Find a program so that I can write on the touch screen (for example using the S pen on a Samsung) into documents and have the cursive writing converted to text.
The Samsung S-Pen. If it can translate MY handwriting into text, it shouldn't have any problem with yours. (Unless you're a retired doctor, then maybe ...)

Be able to create .doc , .xls , etc templates so that, using an S-pen or other stylus, can simply pull up a template, write in the blank spaces, and create a finished document.
Tougher. I don't know of any that can do it on the Android, I do all that stuff on my laptop.

More clearly understand the virus/malware threat to Android systems and how to deal with them.
A computer connected to the world is susceptible to viruses. The fact that it's a phone, and it's connected by a technology called 4G makes no difference. (I haven't heard of powerline viruses ... yet ... but the century's young.)

Other than the writing websites part (and I get a lot of flack about that wherever I go, but what do I know, I've only been designing software for a living for 40 years), the internet is probably your best bet.

As for writing websites - learn programming. Not a programming language, programming itself. Then learn HTML, Javascript, PHP and anywhere else you want to go. Start with Algorithms and Data Structures It's not an afternoon's read, it's a 1 year course. (Written by a guy who probably also doesn't know anything, he just happened to invent Pascal, Ada, Modula2, etc.)

Welcome to the site, have fun, find nice Andy toys to play with (the Play store is a goldmine) and - well, after 56 years you already know this one - don't take it too seriously.

Reactions: MoodyBlues and tmog
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones