• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

SpecTrek: Protect the World and Keep in Shape!

webdevmike

Lurker
Dec 21, 2009
SpecTrek ~ Protect the World and Keep in Shape!

SpecTrek is an augmented reality app that combines fun and fitness in an interesting way. Using the GPS and camera features of your Android device you simply walk, or run, within a specified radius and capture virtual ghosts.

The game begins by you choosing how long you would like to play for. Your choices range from 45 minutes to 2 hours. Choosing a shorter play time results in a smaller arena while a longer play time will have you walking much further distances to capture ghosts.

By holding the device flat, screen face up, you can view the map (The app uses Google Maps) which will show the arena and the ghosts you'll be capturing. When you get close enough to a ghost in the real world you use the capture button to bring em' in. Each time you capture a ghost you earn experience which goes towards leveling up. When you level up you obtain skill points which can be spent on improving skills like spot range, catch range, scan range, etc.

The game doesn't let down fitness gurus. By simply hitting the menu button you can view stats such as distance traveled, speed, and even calories burned. The menu screen also shows how much time you have left, how many ghosts you've captured, and how much experience you've accumulated.

SpecTrek has multiple types of ghosts that have different behaviors. It has records, awards, titles, and hidden items. It even links up to you twitter account, which I haven't checked out quite yet. Above all though, the game is just plain fun. My wife and I have completely changed how we go on our evening walks. We are the ghostbusters of our neighborhood. We do our part each night to protect this world from evil spirits and you can too! I highly recommend it.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones