• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Speedtest.net conspiracy?

Droidwerks

Mar 24, 2012
Lol, so what's the deal with Speedtest.net? I downloaded the app and when I run the test from the exact same location a few minutes apart, I get wildly different results sometimes. I'd heard that the app can be "sporadic" but when I Google-searched Speedtest on my browser (Opera) on my phone to go the ST site directly instead of using the app, it re-routes me to the Google Play store to get me to install the ST app!

WTH?!?!

So, I tried just entering the URL into Opera, same thing--re-routes me to Google Play. I thought maybe because the app was installed that's why it was doing it, so I dumped the app and re-booted the phone and it's the same thing.

So, who the hell is re-routing me?!?!?

Is it Google, or Speed Test? I want to be able to enter a url into my brower on MY PHONE and have it load the page I wanted, not auto-forward me to the Google Play store........what BS!

DW

Enable Javascript, Flash and request desktop site and it will work.
The differences in your speed tests can be attributed to network traffic.

Yeah you never know who else joins that network and such when you run that speed test.

So typically if you are in the same spot for 20 minutes and run 20 different speed tests all of your results will typically vary, some by a lot.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones