[Sprint] Considering picking up an s4 but...

Last Updated:

1. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member

Dont want to get one that I can't root. Is there a list somewhere of which will toot and which won't? Do they all root right now?

Anyone want to talk me out of this and into something else? I'm coming from an old evo so I want to feel like I'm leaping forward here.

Thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Mikessv

Mikessv Well-Known Member

To my knowledge you can root almost all Androids

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    hortstu likes this.
  3. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

As Mike said, the Sprint S4 roots just fine. Use this guy's tutorials to root update MF9, install recovery, and unlock the native hotspot in about 10 minutes total: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2257101

Word of advice though. When you get the S4, don't even log into the phone yet. Skip setup, let it install the MF9 update and any others, then factory reset and do the setup. Some Best Buy stores will install the update before you leave using their WiFi. This will prevent most of the out of the box software issues. :)
    hortstu and Mikessv like this.
  4. hortstu

hortstu Well-Known Member

Just to make sure I'm following you, are you saying if best buy does the update I'll have problems rooting so I should do it myself when I root? T thanks.
  5. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

The update will not hamper rooting in any way :). I'm just saying as a courtesy, some Best Buy stores will let you update the phone before you leave. Regardless of where you get the phone, let it update first and then perform a factory reset before you start setting up your phone. (Settings -> Accounts -> Backup and Rest)
    hortstu likes this.
  6. Mikessv

Mikessv Well-Known Member

On a side note, I'm buying an S4 soon.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2