• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] Getting a Galaxy Nexus soon, looking for some advice.

windsorclarenc

Android Enthusiast
Nov 6, 2011
Windham, OH
Hey everybody, I'm not new to rooting or AF, but am completely freshman when it comes to Galaxy Nexus. My parents are upgrading soon and getting the Nexus per my suggestion. It was this or GSII. First off, do you guys think the Galaxy Nexus beats the GSII?

Rooting it seems simple enough for me to do, thankfully much easier than my LTEvo. Is TWRP completely functional on this phone? I became spoiled with a touch screen recovery and don't really dig CWM much.

Is S-OFF necessary or achievable on this phone? I know, it's a pretty big deal on mine.

I'm looking for 2 different ROMs, or 1 if it fits both criteria. For my mom I need a ROM that is rock solid and stable. New and shiny is preferable, but the less bugs the better. She flips at the first sign of an issue. For my dad I need the latest and greatest. He likes shiny and new over stability, he knows how to fix most minor issues if they arise. Or something really different, he digs MIUI on his OG Evo.

I'm glad to see familiar faces around here like MizzouBrent and 9to5cynic. I know there are plenty of smart folk that can help me out. (PS Sorry for writing a novel here :eek:)

Reactions: Rxpert83
1. First off, YES I believe, scratch that, KNOW the Nexus wins over the GSII!!

2. TWRP is fully functional on this device and is pretty much the standard.

3. S-OFF is unnecessary, or at least I don't believe it's called "S-OFF" on the Nexus. Just unlock the bootloader and push the root files to your phone and that's it!

4. For your Mom, I'd go with Jellybro or just straight CM10. For your dad I'd flash JBSourcery, CNA 3.8.0, AOKP 4.1.2 or Unofficial AOKP 4.2.1 (by Hoang81).

If you decide to flash a 4.2 ROM on any of the phones, make sure you have the latest TWRP version installed.

Upvote 0
Frenchy basically hit the nail on the head. S-OFF isn't really a state for the Gnex. The bootloader is either locked or unlocked. And it's easy as pie to do.

For ROMs....hmm, well if you want a way stockish experience for your mom, you could go with RUJellin or Mmuzzy's 4.1.2 builds....any of those would be great. But I would highly recommend CM10 for her if you just want a build that is light on options.

For dad, I agree, CNA is probably the way to go. AOKP is pretty great too. I'd stay away from the 4.2 stuff for now. I just don't think it's as completely solid as the 4.1 stuff. Too much going on at the kernel level causing issues to ever make me consider them to be worry free.

And I think a good mix for either of them would be Slim Bean. It's outstanding in the times I've ran it. It changes the default DPI to 241 which is going to be way too small for a lot of people, but you could bump it up to 320 (gnex's stock setting) if you want to give that a whirl.

It's hard to pick one honestly, because the Gnex stuff on 4.1 is all so stable. For an inverted ROM, Eclipse is great.

Upvote 0
never had or seen a gnex till about a month ago when i bought one... so impressed with jellybean on it its seriously hands down the best device available if you were to ask me i just used the al in one tool kit to root and paranoid android rom ive had only minor problems as far as gapps packages and beta updates besides that it blew my mind 4.65'' screen with 720p display... cant even compare it to anything else...

Upvote 0
love my nexus wouldnt trade or trade in for anything else perfect for daily use and for music, youtube, or simply angry birds.(if thats what your into), personally if you can afford it get a NEXUS7 thats better for games and youtube or movies... but just as nice or nicer than anything on the market and still beats the iphone what ever it is now. funny the nexus was made over a year ago and nothing beats it but maybe the note2... jellybean is the best and 4.2.1 is even sweeter so if your into the latest updates and fastest ui then this is the phone for you.... GS3 is actually not even as nice (personal opinion)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones