• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] How to Root Sprint Galaxy Nexus for Dummies [Windows, Mac, Linux]

Yeah, I'll have to download a few tomorrow...

Just for the sake of it, here was my md5 of the rom -
Code:
c8347be221bdec2e8342b01635093b7e  Are-You-Jellin-MS1-R2.zip

EDIT - hmm... now I'm wondering if perhaps the file didn't copy over completely from my computer to my phone ... I'll check that hash against the copy of the rom on my phone. I hate having to keep taking the back cover off.

The back cover is the ONLY thing I dislike on the Gnex! So annoying and frustrating to put back on lol!

Reactions: AARONONE
Upvote 0
Yeah, I'll have to download a few tomorrow...

Just for the sake of it, here was my md5 of the rom -
Code:
c8347be221bdec2e8342b01635093b7e  Are-You-Jellin-MS1-R2.zip

EDIT - hmm... now I'm wondering if perhaps the file didn't copy over completely from my computer to my phone ... I'll check that hash against the copy of the rom on my phone. I hate having to keep taking the back cover off.

I have had mine do that before, stupid new way of moving stuff between the two. I don't know how many times I have seen it tell me failed to move. Also if you are looking for ROMs to try you may to give Jellybro a go.

Upvote 0
I have had mine do that before, stupid new way of moving stuff between the two. I don't know how many times I have seen it tell me failed to move. Also if you are looking for ROMs to try you may to give Jellybro a go.
I'll be hitting up a wifi hotspot on my way home tomorrow and I'll try to grab a couple of roms.

As far as MTP is concerned - :eek:
I have two computers, one running XP, the other Debian. The XP machine is my only internet source (dialup). So, getting MTP on either of these machines was a bit of a hassle. Ended up downloading packages to a VM on XP, copying them to debian. Only to realize that I couldn't get a debian specific one that way [libmtp8 I believe - for anyone interested], so I installed ubuntu on a flash drive :eek: Took a long ass time. But it sort of works now. :D
gMTP seems to be the best way that I've found.

Also, is anyone else getting awesome times on backup/recovery compared to the Evo? My backups are like, 70 seconds!! Seems like the evo took much longer. Must be the dual core? ;)

Upvote 0
Somebody please help!
Every time I try to flash the recovery it says--
Coles-MacBook-Pro:galaxynexusrootmac colehansen$ ./fastboot-mac flash recovery-clockwork-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img
unknown partition 'recovery-clockwork-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img'
error: cannot determine image filename for 'recovery-clockwork-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img'
I fixed the problem by typing ./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img

Upvote 0
Yeah you have to tell it what partition you want to flash to. This is pretty much how the command works "./fastboot-mac" is telling it what tool to use, "flash recovery" is telling it to write to the recovery partition of your phone, "recovery-clockwork-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img" is telling it what to write to the recovery partition.

Upvote 0
I don't understand what you mean by:
"Fix:
Reboot into bootloader install the recovery again but this time DO NOT reboot the phone. Now go directly to recovery mode and follow the instructions on how to flash SU binary. Now you need to change the name of a file in your system, to do this download Root Explorer (ES File may work but I'm not sure.) Navigate to the system directory and mount it as R/W. Find the recovery-from-boot.p rename the file to recovery-from-boot.p.bak. Now reboot into bootloader and install the recovery again it should now stick."

I don't understand what to do for the first part, sorry.. but if you could clarify how to more thoroughly that would be great. I just got my android the other day

Upvote 0
I don't understand what you mean by:
"Fix:
Reboot into bootloader install the recovery again but this time DO NOT reboot the phone. Now go directly to recovery mode and follow the instructions on how to flash SU binary. Now you need to change the name of a file in your system, to do this download Root Explorer (ES File may work but I'm not sure.) Navigate to the system directory and mount it as R/W. Find the recovery-from-boot.p rename the file to recovery-from-boot.p.bak. Now reboot into bootloader and install the recovery again it should now stick."

I don't understand what to do for the first part, sorry.. but if you could clarify how to more thoroughly that would be great. I just got my android the other day

In the boot loader, you can navigate by using the volume keys. There is an option for recovery that you can select with the power button. if you are having trouble with the custom recovery sticking you need to reinstall it and then boot into it. From there you can flash superuser which will then allow you to do the fix to get the recovery to stick. If you need more help I woud be happy to help but it will have to wait until morning. Sorry if what I just explained didn't help.

Upvote 0
In the boot loader, you can navigate by using the volume keys. There is an option for recovery that you can select with the power button. if you are having trouble with the custom recovery sticking you need to reinstall it and then boot into it. From there you can flash superuser which will then allow you to do the fix to get the recovery to stick. If you need more help I woud be happy to help but it will have to wait until morning. Sorry if what I just explained didn't help.

Okay, well, for step 7 (sorry to go back) I don't see the directions, cause when click show it doesn't. I am also running on a macbook pro.. I'll be willing to wait til the morning to find out how it works. SO confused -_- haha:thinking:

Upvote 0
Okay, well, for step 7 (sorry to go back) I don't see the directions, cause when click show it doesn't. I am also running on a macbook pro.. I'll be willing to wait til the morning to find out how it works. SO confused -_- haha:thinking:

Are you getting weird text under the show button? If so, its a known issue with the forums.... as of last night. If you quote the text you should be able to read it.

Upvote 0
This should help

step 6
Mac
Once you are in the proper directory type in this command exactly

./fastboot-mac oem unlock

Now follow the directions on your phone's screen. This command will unlock your bootloader and make it to where you can install a custom recovery.

step 7
Mac
In the same directory you used to unlock the bootloader use the command for the recovery you want.

Clockwork
./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img

Clockwork Touch
./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img

Team Win Recovey Project (TWRP)
./fastboot-mac flash recovery twrp-toroplus-2.1.2.img

Upvote 0
This should help

step 6
Mac
Once you are in the proper directory type in this command exactly

./fastboot-mac oem unlock

Now follow the directions on your phone's screen. This command will unlock your bootloader and make it to where you can install a custom recovery.

step 7
Mac
In the same directory you used to unlock the bootloader use the command for the recovery you want.

Clockwork
./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img

Clockwork Touch
./fastboot-mac flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.3.1-toroplus.img

Team Win Recovey Project (TWRP)
./fastboot-mac flash recovery twrp-toroplus-2.1.2.img
thanks! okay, so i did that and i chose twrp.. Step 8 then says..

"Now go to the flash zip from SD card and flash the CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip. After it is done reboot the phone and you are rooted." and I don't know exactly where to look to do that. I have the CWM in my phone now

Upvote 0
thanks! okay, so i did that and i chose twrp.. Step 8 then says..

"Now go to the flash zip from SD card and flash the CWM-SuperSU-v0.87.zip. After it is done reboot the phone and you are rooted." and I don't know exactly where to look to do that. I have the CWM in my phone now
Cool, almost done then. (or just started, depending on how you look at it ;))

So now you should only have to put the CWM-SuperSU zip file on the phone. From there, you boot into recovery (TWRP in your case) and then flash it to the phone with the INSTALL button. You then navigate to the location of the ZIP file and swipe to install.

I don't think I missed any steps in that... I'm sure urge or someone will be along to verify or correct me - but I think you're good now.

:D ;):smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Cool, almost done then. (or just started, depending on how you look at it ;))

So now you should only have to put the CWM-SuperSU zip file on the phone. From there, you boot into recovery (TWRP in your case) and then flash it to the phone with the INSTALL button. You then navigate to the location of the ZIP file and swipe to install.

I don't think I missed any steps in that... I'm sure urge or someone will be along to verify or correct me - but I think you're good now.

:D ;):smokingsomb:

Okay, so, I got it sort of haha. Looks like so:

Select Zip to Install

/sdcard/CWM-SuperSU-c0.87
system
META-INF

what do I swipe? :thinking::alberteinstein::hmmmm2:

Upvote 0
Sorry again, I went to the install box and got to CWM-SuperSU-v0.87/ but nowhere does it say swipe to install or install after that..:thinking:

Don't apologize ;). You have to select the zip you want to flash first (in your case SuperSU) by touching (pressing) it, then you'll see the slider on the bottom that will allow you to flash.

Upvote 0
This is what i see

Attachments

• Photo on 12-07-30 at 4.10 PM.jpg
    Photo on 12-07-30 at 4.10 PM.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 120
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones