• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Sprint] LG G2 Stuck in fastboot mode. PLEASE HELP!

I am rooted with TWRP 2.7.0.2 installed. I can boot into TWRP using the Quickboot app, but not using the button combo (power+vol. down, when the logo appears release power, while still holding vol. down push power and vol. up). Does anyone know how to get into TWRP on the Verizon VK810 from a powered off device?

Ok, in case anyone else has this problem, I think I found a solution. Curious thing. I booted into System Recovery by pushing the power+volume down. I was given 4 options. Factory reset, power off, wipe cache and safe boot. I use the volume rocker to get to "wipe cache", push power to select, and it takes me to TWRP. I can get there now from a powered off state, which is the goal, I just don't know why.

Upvote 0
Ok so if you KNOW you were on the ZVC firmware prior to this little stumble, then all you should need to download and flash is the laf partition. If you are unsure, download both laf and aboot from here:

Listing of zvc_partitions (thanks to Autoprime for the uploads)

Rename the file(s) to remove the number and dash in front of the filename(s) so you end up with files called aboot.img and laf.img.

Next place the file(s) into your sdk-tools folder.

Then with the phone plugged into the pc and showing fastboot mode, change directory to your sdk-tools folder and issue the following commands:

This first one only applies if you're unsure about being on the ZVC firmware. If unsure, flash aboot by typing fastboot flash aboot aboot.img

Then no matter what the situation, you'll flash laf by typing fastboot flash laf laf.img

Once done, exit cmd and unplug the phone. Hold the power button for 10 seconds making sure it's powered down entirely. Now try to enter download mode by pressing and holding volume up while at the same time plugging the phone back into the PC. Report whether you get download mode now.

Man u r simply Greatttt... I had the same issue but by following your instructions I got my mobile back.. Thanks Dude. Thaks a lot..

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
I do not understand how to check for a good fastboot connection. so do i go to command prompt and search the coomand?

I am assuming zero knowledge with my reply so excuse that if you're beyond this...

You need the sdk installed or our forum's mini sdk or a similar package which allows adb/fastboot usage. You then change directory to the folder which contains the adb/fastboot binaries and run a fastboot devices command or a fastboot reboot command (this gives a sure sign that it's working b/c the phone will reboot if so).

So let's say you are running windows and you installed our forum's mini sdk to the root of your C drive. You'd then do this via command line while the phone is plugged in and showing fastboot mode on it's screen...

cd c:\sdk-tools
fastboot devices
(to check for basic fastboot connection)
fastboot reboot

If that does not work, you likely don't have the correct drivers installed to allow fastboot to work.

Upvote 0
These G2 problems have become so complex that I'm essentially pulling up stakes and moving all my support efforts to Freenode IRC, channel #lg-g2.

Hate to do it, but issues that we can solve in minutes/hours there seem to take days/weeks in a forum format. I'll still be checking in here when I can but will likely have a reduced presence. FYI, my IRC nick is Ncrypt3d.

Upvote 0
Hey guys i have royally jacked my lg g2 up. I have a VS980 that was on the 26A update. i followed the directions on this page and i think im hard bricked... I was able to get it into fastboot and connect and flash the laf / aboot that i got from an original VS980 tot. after i did that and restarted my phone the screen stays black... maybe i screwed it up when i unplugged it and reset it? if i hold the power button down i can feel the vibrator pulse like its restarting but still a black screen....

here is the log from cmd that i copied...

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

==============================================

c:\SDK\tools>cd c:\SDK\platform-tools

c:\SDK\platform-tools>fastboot
usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
update <filename> reflash device from update.zip
flashall flash boot, system, vendor and if fou
nd,
recovery
flash <partition> [ <filename> ] write a file to a flash partition
erase <partition> erase a flash partition
format[:[<fs type>][:[<size>]] <partition> format a flash partition.
Can override the fs type and/or
size the bootloader reports.
getvar <variable> display a bootloader variable
boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> [ <second> ] ] download and boot kernel
flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> [ <second> ] ] create bootimage and
flash it
devices list all connected devices
continue continue with autoboot
reboot reboot device normally
reboot-bootloader reboot device into bootloader
help show this help message

options:
-w erase userdata and cache (and format
if supported by partition type)
-u do not first erase partition before
formatting
-s <specific device> specify device serial number
or path to device port
-l with "devices", lists device paths
-p <product> specify product name
-c <cmdline> override kernel commandline
-i <vendor id> specify a custom USB vendor id
-b <base_addr> specify a custom kernel base address.

default: 0x10000000
-n <page size> specify the nand page size.
default: 2048
-S <size>[K|M|G] automatically sparse files greater
than size. 0 to disable

c:\SDK\platform-tools>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.094s

c:\SDK\platform-tools>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 62DB-D05D

Directory of c:\SDK\platform-tools

12/05/2014 05:33 PM <DIR> .
12/05/2014 05:33 PM <DIR> ..
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 1,009,664 adb.exe
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 96,256 AdbWinApi.dll
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 60,928 AdbWinUsbApi.dll
12/05/2014 05:33 PM <DIR> api
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 73,728 dmtracedump.exe
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 338,944 etc1tool.exe
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 196,608 fastboot.exe
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 39,424 hprof-conv.exe
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 753,215 NOTICE.txt
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 16,517 source.properties
11/10/2014 06:24 PM 700,928 sqlite3.exe
12/05/2014 05:33 PM <DIR> systrace
10 File(s) 3,286,212 bytes
4 Dir(s) 353,742,848 bytes free

c:\SDK\platform-tools>fastboot devices
? fastboot

c:\SDK\platform-tools>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

finished. total time: 0.109s

c:\SDK\platform-tools>fastboot flash aboot aboot.img
target reported max download size of 1862270976 bytes
sending 'aboot' (1024 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.094s]
writing 'aboot'...
OKAY [ 0.203s]
finished. total time: 0.297s

c:\SDK\platform-tools>fastboot flash laf laf.img
target reported max download size of 1862270976 bytes
sending 'laf' (14848 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.516s]
writing 'laf'...
OKAY [ 1.344s]
finished. total time: 1.860s

c:\SDK\platform-tools>

so after this is when i think i did the royal ling... i unplugged and hard reset the phone... was i supposed to reboot??? ugh.. any ways anyone have an idea of how i can get this thing back up and running? i have the full SDK and tot. just no experience...

Upvote 0
Help please I am another seller amazon affected with 802 false model , installed a AUTOREC for the D802 and damage my phone now I'm with the method above and these are the errors that makes me help

thump_229388111035245435858956581.jpg
thump_229388211064334435858903248.jpg
thump_229388311041509435858869914.jpg

Upvote 0
Hello Iowabowtech. It looks like you are a pro here. I read all ten pages of this thread and cannot figure how to get out of fastboot mode. I have a vs980 and when I type fastboot reboot I get the following

d:\>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

When I unplug and type in d:\>fastboot devices, I get

? fastboot

I think my phone isn't recognized. I install the lg drivers already. Funny thing is that the phone will
show my command on the screen.

Thank you for any time you can help with

Upvote 0
Hello Iowabowtech. It looks like you are a pro here. I read all ten pages of this thread and cannot figure how to get out of fastboot mode. I have a vs980 and when I type fastboot reboot I get the following

d:\>fastboot reboot
rebooting...

When I unplug and type in d:\>fastboot devices, I get

? fastboot

I think my phone isn't recognized. I install the lg drivers already. Funny thing is that the phone will
show my command on the screen.

Thank you for any time you can help with

Your phone appears recognized. So you'll want to download and fastboot flash the bootstack for any vzw firmware, 26a would be the most recent option. My preference is about, boot, laf, dbi, rpm, sbl1, tz.

Upvote 0
Hey there. I did crash my phone while trying to install a custom rom. i used autorec and am now stuck in fastboot mode. I can enter download mode, but the phone is not recognized in it from the pc. I think the drivers are misssing, but installing the lg driver doesn't work. In tthe device manager the phone is listed but i cannot install the drivers. can u please help me.

When im in fastboot mode i can connect to the phone from the shell.

My operating system is windows 8.

Thank you a lot

Upvote 0
Thank you Iowabowtech. I've tried to fastboot and still get a stuck cmd prompt. For example when I fastboot reboot the cmd prompt shows

rebooting.....

The phone has the following so I think there is communication.

[1240} Fastboot mode started
[30910]---reset----
[30920]---portcharge---
[30930]---reset----
[30940]---portcharge----
[31010]fastboot: processing commands
[232740] fastboot:reboot

However, when I fastboot devices, I get

? fastboot on the phone

I thought it might be the usb cord, so I switch that out. I also tried 3 other computers with no success, same result. I thought it may be the drivers but I tried to install different drivers (LG VZW United and LG Mobile Driver v3.13.2). In the device manager, I have a Android Phone-LGE Mobile for VZW ADB Interface listed.

Any additional insight?

Thanks again

Upvote 0
Thank you Iowabowtech. I've tried to fastboot and still get a stuck cmd prompt. For example when I fastboot reboot the cmd prompt shows

rebooting.....

The phone has the following so I think there is communication.

[1240} Fastboot mode started
[30910]---reset----
[30920]---portcharge---
[30930]---reset----
[30940]---portcharge----
[31010]fastboot: processing commands
[232740] fastboot:reboot

However, when I fastboot devices, I get

? fastboot on the phone

I thought it might be the usb cord, so I switch that out. I also tried 3 other computers with no success, same result. I thought it may be the drivers but I tried to install different drivers (LG VZW United and LG Mobile Driver v3.13.2). In the device manager, I have a Android Phone-LGE Mobile for VZW ADB Interface listed.

Any additional insight?

Thanks again

When you ran the fastboot reboot command did the phone reboot? All that seems correct to me. ? fastboot is the normal way for it to show up. Android Phone-LGE Mobile for VZW ADB Interface also sounds correct as though the fastboot drivcrs have been applied correctly.

If the phone did reboot, you may need to check your path. If you could carve out a little time to meet me on IRC let me know by PM. We can fix it in real time there and it'll go much faster.

Upvote 0
@iowabowtech i have the same problem, i can enter fastboot mode, the phone seems connected to PC and communicates but i am unable to write anything, i am attaching the Dos pic as well as the response on my G2 d802. If i try to write laf, it stuck at writing laf, if i say flash recovery, it stuck at writing recovery. if u could help in this regard

Attachments

• IMG_20150614_131105087.jpg
    IMG_20150614_131105087.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_20150614_131116965_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150614_131116965_HDR.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 773
Upvote 0
I do not understand how to check for a good fastboot connection. so do i go to command prompt and search the coomand?

You open cmd, use a change directory command to goto the folder your fastboot/adb binaries are located, then issue a fastboot devices and/or fastboot reboot command.

So for example if you download the mini-sdk from our site you'd type and if you unzipped that to the root of your C: drive then you'd type:

cd c:\sdk-tools
fastboot devices
fastboot reboot

If it reboots, you're good. If not, you either have a driver issue or you're experiencing a Lollipop fastboot brick where it seems to accept the commands but nothing happens.

Upvote 0
Stuck in the Fastboot mode. I have a LS980 on Sprint/FP. Running stock and I was trying to root(the phone is locked to FP and I'd like to use another provider). I(illadvisedly) attempted to use Oneclick to root. The phone will now not show up under device manager either. I've scoured the net and this forum for info that I could use to help. But I'm at a loss with no(known to me) way of communicating with the phone. Any help!?

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm not very knowledgeable in computers so am being punished for thinking I knew what I was doing. Please help!

So I think my main problem is that I can't get into recovery mode. Every time I try turn my phone on it goes to fastboot, even if I try to hold down power and volume. I am able to get to download mode, but after a second it changed to the Firmware Update screen, where nothing happens until I turn the phone off. Because of this, I have two options, just go into fastboot, or look at a firmware update screen that is doing nothing.

FYI, I have no trouble using fastboot through my windows computer, so I guess that is good, but what I do seems to have no impact on my phone. I downloaded TWRP with a recovery.img file, but when I restarted my phone it made no difference. Also, I turned off root today through the SuperSU, would this be a reason for the issues I am having?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones