• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sprint moving ahead with plan to buy T-Mobile according to report

Where the hell is that dislike button, oh yeah here it is.

tsDislikes.png

I would still prefer to keep the name either Sprint since most of the management from T-Mobile will be running it. But a totally new name would have been ideal.

TS

Upvote 0
In the absence of approval for the merger by the feds, why dont they just agree to allow each other's lte custoners to roam on both netrorks?

Would be so awesome, but since the Networks are currently running on cdma and gsm respectively, not sure that is possible.

Which brings up another point. I have only seen one article talking about connectivity, post-merger, and it said cdma would be ditched in favor of gsm. I wish there was an easy way of running both.

Upvote 0
Would be so awesome, but since the Networks are currently running on cdma and gsm respectively, not sure that is possible.

Which brings up another point. I have only seen one article talking about connectivity, post-merger, and it said cdma would be ditched in favor of gsm. I wish there was an easy way of running both.

That is why the only way to allow roaming is on the lte bands.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

Any change in network is going to occur as a slow phase out over 2+ years, and will likely be coupled with a transition to voLTE anyway.

In other words. they very well may both go away, but the immediate impacts are negligible

Upvote 0

This sounds more like his being scared of a more even playing field and competitor, than his actually having a "valid" argument. Even if one of the sticking points in the ATT/TMobile merger was 4 major carriers becoming 3, it was ATT's job to justify the merger as not being harmful to competition. That's where I think he's being extremely short sided simply due to the market share percentages. Dan Hesse, more or less, made that argument here: https://bgr.com/2011/09/22/sprint-ceo-suggests-att-cant-buy-t-mobile-only-sprint-can-buy-t-mobile/

According to different articles I've read, these are the market share percentages:

ATT-34%
Verizon-34%
Sprint-16%
T-Mobile-14%
US Cellular-2%

So, had a ATT/T-Mobile merger been approved, the issue would've gone beyond "fair" market share and competition. The new market share percentages would cause there to be a "majority" holder of cellular market share:

ATT/T-Mobile-48%
Verizon-34%
Sprint-16%
US Cellular-2%

There's no way Sprint could ever come close to competing with that. Now, if you look at the changes of percentages if the Sprint/T-Mobile deal gets approved, it shows much more competitive market share percentages:

ATT-34%
Verizon-34%
Sprint/T-Mobile-30%
US Cellular-2%

I'd almost venture to say that a purchase of US Cellular would truly create competition, pushing a combined Sprint/T-Mobile/US Cellular company to a closer to even playing field.

Now, will the US Government see it the same way...I'm not so sure.

I wonder about Randall sometimes. While I'm sure he will let the FCC know he doesn't approve of the merger (I'm guessing a T-Mobile backed by Softbank may scare him), he doesn't get to tell the government what to do.

Verizon and ATT have every right to make their arguments against the merger, which I'd expect them to do (because realistically, they know that a merger of #3 and #4 puts them very close to the same market share). I think this scares him, more than anything else. Whether or not the big 2 can make valid arguments, opposing the merger, is another question.

Upvote 0
This sounds more like his being scared of a more even playing field and competitor, than his actually having a "valid" argument. Even if one of the sticking points in the ATT/TMobile merger was 4 major carriers becoming 3, it was ATT's job to justify the merger as not being harmful to competition. That's where I think he's being extremely short sided simply due to the market share percentages. Dan Hesse, more or less, made that argument here: https://bgr.com/2011/09/22/sprint-ceo-suggests-att-cant-buy-t-mobile-only-sprint-can-buy-t-mobile/

According to different articles I've read, these are the market share percentages:

ATT-34%
Verizon-34%
Sprint-16%
T-Mobile-14%
US Cellular-2%

So, had a ATT/T-Mobile merger been approved, the issue would've gone beyond "fair" market share and competition. The new market share percentages would cause there to be a "majority" holder of cellular market share:

ATT/T-Mobile-48%
Verizon-34%
Sprint-16%
US Cellular-2%

There's no way Sprint could ever come close to competing with that. Now, if you look at the changes of percentages if the Sprint/T-Mobile deal gets approved, it shows much more competitive market share percentages:

ATT-34%
Verizon-34%
Sprint/T-Mobile-30%
US Cellular-2%

I'd almost venture to say that a purchase of US Cellular would truly create competition, pushing a combined Sprint/T-Mobile/US Cellular company to a closer to even playing field.

Now, will the US Government see it the same way...I'm not so sure.

Verizon and ATT have every right to make their arguments against the merger, which I'd expect them to do (because realistically, they know that a merger of #3 and #4 puts them very close to the same market share). I think this scares him, more than anything else. Whether or not the big 2 can make valid arguments, opposing the merger, is another question.

Much of what Randall was referring to was, in opposing the AT&T - T-Mobile merger, Sprint claimed that 4 carriers were need for competition. Very short sighted by Sprint to make that argument, particularly when much of their objection was the size AT&T would be after the merger and having one large, one medium, and one "small" major carrier.

I suspect the merger will be shot down; and personally want it shut down. On the plus side, during the Uncarrier event tonight, Legere stated that even if a merger happens that Uncarrier is here to stay -- which seems to confirm rumors of Legere and T-Mobile management running the merged company.

Upvote 0
Much of what Randall was referring to was, in opposing the AT&T - T-Mobile merger, Sprint claimed that 4 carriers were need for competition. Very short sighted by Sprint to make that argument, particularly when much of their objection was the size AT&T would be after the merger and having one large, one medium, and one "small" major carrier.

I suspect the merger will be shot down; and personally want it shut down. On the plus side, during the Uncarrier event tonight, Legere stated that even if a merger happens that Uncarrier is here to stay -- which seems to confirm rumors of Legere and T-Mobile management running the merged company.

you are overlooking one factor: mr. son is not stupid and there is an entity sitting on the bench with a ton of spectrum who could become a fourth carrier if a deal was set up. That factor is charley ergen, better known as echostar/dish network.
he could get together with us cellular, or even look at merger with big red if the feds ok the at&t-direct tv deal.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I think what many T-Mobile customers are not really looking at is the fact that Deutsche Telekom wants to sell T-Mobile. If Sprint buys T-Mobile, T-Mobile will continue. But if someone else buys T-Mobile, who knows what could happen. T-Mobile may not be T-Mobile anymore.

well, it is close. If the boss of the apprentice buys it, it becomes TRUMP-mobile. The folks in chicago and new york city will get that reference........:)

Upvote 0

Read the Hesse reply article I posted. That wasn't really what they were saying. Randle took it out of context

Upvote 0
There are many that are happy about this. I was in the minority, looking at the potential positive aspects of a merger of the two (2) small fry companies in the mobile industry. Guess ATT and Verizon will just continue having a stranglehold on the mobile industry. T-mobile will push the envelope, while Sprint tries to turn the tides around with a new CEO that I never heard of until today.

Upvote 0
There are many that are happy about this. I was in the minority, looking at the potential positive aspects of a merger of the two (2) small fry companies in the mobile industry. Guess ATT and Verizon will just continue having a stranglehold on the mobile industry. T-mobile will push the envelope, while Sprint tries to turn the tides around with a new CEO that I never heard of until today.
Same here. I was excited to see it happen but oh well.

Upvote 0
His wikipedia page

I feel Sprint is in good hands with him.

It'll be interesting what he will do with a much bigger company than he has ever dealt with. Especially one that has developed such a poor reputation. It's one thing to grow a company from the ground up, It's another to pick it up from below ground, revive and make it rise to a truly competitive level.

Upvote 0