• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] should i switch to sprint

Enrodreher

Mar 27, 2010
hello guys im new to the forums here and i am in a big dilemma and would like your opinions. i am in dallas, tx and i have been an att customer for 5 years... my bills average 270 dollars every month for five lines. i want to break away from att and reduce my plan to 3 lines which with sprint will be around 180 dollars and att well who knows around 200. i have a few questions.. i really like the evo but with att i could upgrade my lines and get maybe the new inspire or atrix coming out. i have heard shit about sprint left and right and the whole you cant data while on the phone at the same time. i think sprint is good here in dallas even with 4g but idk if buying 3 evos at this point is a good idea since its been out for a while and maybe i should hold off? any suggestions guys...i know all you guys are sprint users but maybe to stay with att or move over to the evo? idk what to do. maybe paying an extra 20 to 30 bucks with att is worth it? thank you guys.

hello guys im new to the forums here and i am in a big dilemma and would like your opinions. i am in dallas, tx and i have been an att customer for 5 years... my bills average 270 dollars every month for five lines. i want to break away from att and reduce my plan to 3 lines which with sprint will be around 180 dollars and att well who knows around 200. i have a few questions.. i really like the evo but with att i could upgrade my lines and get maybe the new inspire or atrix coming out. i have heard shit about sprint left and right and the whole you cant data while on the phone at the same time. i think sprint is good here in dallas even with 4g but idk if buying 3 evos at this point is a good idea since its been out for a while and maybe i should hold off? any suggestions guys...i know all you guys are sprint users but maybe to stay with att or move over to the evo? idk what to do. maybe paying an extra 20 to 30 bucks with att is worth it? thank you guys.

Well...EPRP for two lines is $110 plus $15 for add a line plus $30 for smartphone bs charge for a total of $155 plus taxes.

Up to you if you consider the Evo still a good device. I personally find it too large but functionally its fine. There WILL be a new phone launching by July. Waiting is up to you.

With Sprint you gain AMAT and the big bonus is unlimited data so with that 4G you can do more then just check your email. Plus data while on phone can be used on 4G...Just not 3G. So thats a non issue imo.

I wouldn't recommend Sprint to everyone...its different by occasion. But a family with 3 smartphones in a 4G area seems like a no brainer to me.

If it were me I and if you have spare money I think I would buy the phones used on CL or Ebay for a little more then you would through Sprint and save the upgrades for Summer.

Edit - Sprint also has no worry guarantee. Meaning if you return within 30 days you don't even pay for the first months bill. Something I believe only Sprint does.

Good luck with your decision.

Sprint | Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program

russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com

Upvote 0
Paying extra to get nothing is never worth it. If you think so, next time you go out for dinner, add an extra $20-30 to the tip. It matters there to the server more than the ATT exec bonus pool. Not harshing on you, just pointing out that I left ATT for Sprint and realize how much I was paying for nothing extra. And that call & surfing thing they always push, rarely necessary. It can be done on Sprint if you're in 4G area anyway.

If you have the 3G coverage you want/need, 4G in your area, and can save monthly $, Sprint's fine. I left ATT in last June when Evo came out, and I've enjoyed the phone and network since without regret and while cutting my bill by about 40%. Haven't dropped a call either - a big issue for me with ATT.

There will be more phones better than Evo at some point, but not much is right now when combined with network capability.

IMO, ATT introducing any 4G phones without 4G service is desperation. They have to because everyone else is, but they aren't even pretending to promise 4G. Look at the ATT 3G and HSPA+ rollout. Things only really started to move when the iPhone leaving threat began to emerge. Even then, ATT still didn't do enough to secure another exclusive. I think they could have if the network was all it's cracked up to be.

Upvote 0

Well, there are a couple of questions that I have for you:

1. Have you checked to see if you or any of the other users on your plan work for a place that offers a discount? Right now I am getting a 20% discount through my employer while AT&T doesnt have any discount through the employer. To me, this is important; especially if you are putting multiple lines on the account as usually the discount covers all the lines on that plan. This should be factored in to the total cost of what you are going to pay. Example: if you could get 15% with ATT and nothing with Sprint, then that 200 become 170 and is less than the 180 you referenced above.

2. I assume since you said that your lines are up for upgrade that you are released from your contract? If this is correct, then I think the right move would be to switch to Sprint assuming that you arent getting a huge discount through some other provider. If you are not released from your contract, then I think it would make more sense to hold out to the remained of your contract and then reconsider your provider. I never really thought it was wise to pay $200+ etf per a line.

3. Do you think that paying extra for essentially the same type of phones is worth it? To me, it is not. Every carrier has a flagship android phone just about. If anything, I think that ATT would rank last in that area of android considering the focus they have had on the Iphone. I have been through Dallas (my brother lives in the area), and I can honestly say that the Sprint signal was really good as was ATT. To me, signal strength is a wash, and I personally think that Sprint's data is faster.

4. Do you really use the internet that much while talking on the phone? I have 4g, but I can honestly say that I have never even thought to use it while I am on the phone. If it's a really big deal, then it still doesnt matter because it works with 4g.

5. In regards to your phone selection. The Evo is a really, really good phone. I have had absolutely no complaints with it. With that being said, I think that you should at least wait until after Sprint's announcement on the 7th, as I believe there will be a new handset being introduced. If you decide to go with Sprint, and you are going to get setup with your new phones, dont buy them directly from Sprint. You usually have to pay a mail-in rebate that way. Go to a local best buy or radio shack, and they can get you set up with out the mail-in rebate. In regards to the mention of buying the evo on craigslist or ebay, you should just see if someone will trade you for the phones that you have had on ATT and then when you are ready for your upgrade, you can sell those phones you traded for back on craigslist. (though i personally prefer to sell them on Ebay as you have a bigger market of buyers thus increasing your sell price *usually*)

well, that's a wrap i think...

Upvote 0
Well...EPRP for two lines is $110 plus $15 for add a line plus $30 for smartphone bs charge for a total of $155 plus taxes.

Up to you if you consider the Evo still a good device. I personally find it too large but functionally its fine. There WILL be a new phone launching by July. Waiting is up to you.

With Sprint you gain AMAT and the big bonus is unlimited data so with that 4G you can do more then just check your email. Plus data while on phone can be used on 4G...Just not 3G. So thats a non issue imo.

I wouldn't recommend Sprint to everyone...its different by occasion. But a family with 3 smartphones in a 4G area seems like a no brainer to me.

If it were me I and if you have spare money I think I would buy the phones used on CL or Ebay for a little more then you would through Sprint and save the upgrades for Summer.

Edit - Sprint also has no worry guarantee. Meaning if you return within 30 days you don't even pay for the first months bill. Something I believe only Sprint does.

Good luck with your decision.

Sprint | Everything Plus(SM) Referral Program

russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com
^^^ this sounds really good but id like to buy the evos from amazon they are only 99 dollars there. my question to you is could i still choose the plan through you, i think is still cheaper than if i do it on the regular web site.

Upvote 0
i want to thank all 3 of you who took the time to tell me your opinions. i have been a long time att customer paying them lots lots of money every month. and yes i am a teacher so i get a discount with my district through att and called and checked with sprint and said they will give me one also. so my questions are if i get the evos through amazon since they are 99 dollars will i still be able to qualify for my employee discount AND that means that if i get them through amazon i will be able for upgrades through sprint lets say later down in a few months? thank you guys

Upvote 0
i want to thank all 3 of you who took the time to tell me your opinions. i have been a long time att customer paying them lots lots of money every month. and yes i am a teacher so i get a discount with my district through att and called and checked with sprint and said they will give me one also. so my questions are if i get the evos through amazon since they are 99 dollars will i still be able to qualify for my employee discount AND that means that if i get them through amazon i will be able for upgrades through sprint lets say later down in a few months? thank you guys

Yes, You can apply discounts to your Sprint account at any time. Its quick and easy.

Yes, if you buy your phone through Amazon, you will still be able to upgrade.

PS. If your looking at a family plan for your EVO's, the Everything Data 1500 plan is hard to beat. Its $130 (first two lines) - your discount + $10 (per smartphone). Each addtional line is 20 bucks. This get you practically unlimited everything. unlimited data, unlimited text and unlimited calling to ANY cell on ANY carrier. And, 1500 minutes for landlines. Sprint Coverage is great all over TX; I used to live there (north Dallas), and travled all over the state for business while I was there.)

PSS. The EVO is a great phone. I've had it since release and still love it.

Upvote 0
thanks and ben how is the battery life with your evo if you dont mind me asking?

The battery life is my only complaint, I easily get 12 hrs though. I have 3 email accounts that update hourly, weather updates hourly, send about 2000 texts a month, use quite a bit of data. If 10 to 12 hours is enough time for you between charges (and it charges pretty quick), youll love it. Keep a charger in your car and you'll be fine too.

If you go through the settings and reduce the frequency of email and widget updates, youll get more time. remember, every time you click the email icon it updates automatically, so you really dont need to have it automatically update on the hours.

Upvote 0
Remember, Sprint will give you 30days to return everything, you wont even be charged for the data, texts and minutes you use in that time. If you will be saving money, and it sounds like you will, it definately worth a try. Like I said, I traved all over the state of TX all day, every day (I was a flight instructor based in north Dalas/Addison), so I can assure you that the voice and 3G data service is good from Houston to college station, to dallas to tyler, to abilene... everywhere. They got 4G there too now!

Upvote 0
guys im switching to sprint and ordering 3 evos!!! but I am going to order them through amazon. My questions are: Is that ok since they are only 99 dollars compared to 200 at sprint? Will I still be able to upgrade with sprint if another phone came down a few months from now without having to wait two years? could i get them to waive my activation fees? and I know that they can give me an employee discount as i work as a teacher but will they still be able to do it even though i order the phones through amazon? and finally what do you guys think about going to sprint ;) i will be leaving att after 5 years!! thank you guys in advance

Reactions: mcgolf
Upvote 0
buying from amazon or anyone else... is no difference to sprint!
they will support it.. as same as you got it through their corp store.

so.. per your numbers.. you are saving $20 a month...
and if your att service is not bothering you...
i would say wait till june. 5 months is nothing. the next great device might some out sooner. (note: cutting edge / bleeding edge)

Feb 7 will be a bit announcement from sprint. Dont know what yet.. nobody does.

EVO is a great device.. I love it.... but it might be left behind soon.

Upvote 0
i am not sure if I understand you right... how I read your post...

NO.. you can not get a discount on your next phone in a few months.
buying from Amazon for $99 .. is a new contract price.
so you will be in a 2 yr contract and the 1 yr upgrade benefit is gone.

If you want to get a new phone in a few months and are on contract.. you will have to pay full price!

I am not sure on this.. but there might be a chance.. if you got the phone before april 1... you might get the benefit of 1 yr upgrade. The last one .. for the main line only.

yes.. on the employ discount.. this was answered in your other thread.

I live in DFW.. sprint coverage in TX.. is Great!
with these new data hungry devices.. you will love the unlimited feature

Upvote 0
thank you dan. i have decided to switch to sprint but two questions: if i order the evos through amazon, will i still be able to upgrade with sprint without having to wait for 2 years?, and sprint now shoes that their everything family data plan is 1600 minutes and $109 for the first 2 lines and $15 for each extra line, amazon is showing i guess the old 1500 minutes for 129 for the first 2 lines and 19 dollars each addition lines. i want to go to amazon because the evos are way cheapers. should i call amazon wireless because of the discrepancy in plans??

Upvote 0
thank you dan. i have decided to switch to sprint but two questions: if i order the evos through amazon, will i still be able to upgrade with sprint without having to wait for 2 years?, and sprint now shoes that their everything family data plan is 1600 minutes and $109 for the first 2 lines and $15 for each extra line, amazon is showing i guess the old 1500 minutes for 129 for the first 2 lines and 19 dollars each addition lines. i want to go to amazon because the evos are way cheapers. should i call amazon wireless because of the discrepancy in plans??

I think everyone will now have to wait 2 years for upgrading (or 20 or 22 months or something), they are doing away with the yearly upgrades in march, unfortunately. If what you say is true about the new family plan, I might call, It sounds like that just got better, 20 bucks less for the plan, and 5 bucks less for additional lines... AND you get more minutes.

EDIT: I just checked sprint.com, and all I see is everything data family 1500 for 129. Where are you seeing this 109 price?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones