• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Starting Over

McGilli

Mar 21, 2012
I've had my Note for 1 week now, so last night I decided I wanted to wipe the device, and start over again, just like it was new out of the Box. I performed the device wipe and factory reset located in the Privacy settings.

However, once it restarted and I was into the phone again, I did the initial setup, but then realized that files that were previously frozen or deleted were still missing and not available anymore.

Is the Factory Reset not a true reset where it puts a new copy of the OS on the phone?

Do I need to re-install the OS/Firmware on my phone to get it back to completely new?

I factory reset mine 2 days ago. I ticked the 'format usb storage' option and reset it. I haven't noticed anything missing and haven't had any problems so far. Every smartphone I've ever used has had a factory reset option, and every time I've done it it wipes the phone clean and starts again, back to the condition it was when first out of the box. It was the same with the Note.

What files had you previously frozen?

Upvote 0
What files had you previously frozen?

Ya weird. Everything is back to great shape, except, the two SOFTWARE UPDATE files were still missing.

I had frozen them, and they were still frozen upon restore.

so. i uninstalled the two files.

I factory reset, and the two files are still missing.

It's kind of odd.

All other files that I had frozen etc - were back to normal state - like they had been restored.

It's not a huge deal cuz i can do the software update in Kies, but still, I'm just new to Android phones so just trying to figure this out....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones