Static IP Address

Last Updated:

1. bartjunited

bartjunited Well-Known Member

is it possible to set a static ip address on my hero for my home network as i find that when i use wi-fi it takes a fair bit of time to connect to my network while it is obtaining an IP address.

When i connect via 3G its much quicker to initially connect

TIA Bart

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

As I understand it, I don't think specifiying the IP address will change anything. Your phone still has to 'obtain' a WLAN IP address from the router either way, except it tells the router which one it wants.

Edit: Although yeah, you can set it to a static IP. Go to Settings >> Wireless Controls >> WiFi Settings >> Menu Button >> Advanced. May as well try it :)
  3. Johnno 61

Johnno 61 New Member

i have a htc desire, in the settings there is a box to tick for static ip address, would this allow me to watch uk tv in cyprus
  4. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

No, this only specifies the IP address on the local network. Streaming services look at the WAN IP address assigned either by your router (if on wifi) or the mobile network (if using 3G).
  5. smurfOnE

smurfOnE Well-Known Member

Network configuration profiles were a gross oversight on the Android. But there are some apps that pick up where Android falls short. See this post.