• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stay with Virgin Mobile or go to T-Mobile?

bob60626

Android Enthusiast
Jan 27, 2012
Chicago
Hi folks!

I've owed an Optimus V for about a year (actually didn't use it for a few months after the first, after only having flip phones with -much- better battery life my first smartphone was a headscratcher!). I feel confident using the phone now and have grandfathered into the 25/month plan. However, every now and then I'd like something a bit larger. Virgin doesn't have anything that interests me. If I'd change I'd like the ability to use one of my/my parents old AT&T flip phones when I work on the beach. I'd also like something that I could also use in Europe, specifically Germany. I've been thinking about going to prepaid T-Mobile. I spend most of my time in Chicago and occasionally the suburbs and NW Indiana. My brothers (2 Sensations) in both places seem happy enough with their T-Mobile coverage.

Any recommendations on an equally solid phone? I'd like something no bigger than a 4" screen, good data speeds in Chicago, and with solid battery life. I do not want the newest, most hi-tech phone. I don't play games and mostly use my V for texting, email, Pandora, and browsing. I wouldn't want to pay much more than $200 and would be looking at a used phone. 4G would be nice but is not a necessity.

I've been researching the Samsung Vibrant and similar phones. Do 3G phones really gain anything from a HSPA area?

Given that I already have a solid phone (that has usable though not super quick data speeds) in the V, a Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0 (which I so wish could be had as a GSM mini-tablet!), and a few GSM phones to use abroad, so I just stick with what I have?

Any thoughts? Thanks!

If you have good T-Mobile coverage, here's what I would recommend: Samsung Exhibit II 4G. CPU/GPU used is the same as the one in the Sony Ericsson Xperia Play. Not sure about the battery life but it's not like the Optimus V had good battery life to begin with. You'd probably just see similar battery life with the Exhibit. In areas with T-Mobile HSPA, I was able to get 6~7Mbps down on my Galaxy S 4G.

Really up to you whether you want to switch. Seems like you're already pretty happy with Virgin Mobile.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones