Steaming music from FTP, VPN

Last Updated:

1. gewgluvr

gewgluvr Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been using Gmote to stream my music stored on my portable hard drive which is VPN'd and mapped to my computer. Of course I have to be on the same network as my computer wirelessly.

However is there another application that can stream music instead of FTP downloading to the G1 so I can just simply stream when I'm using the 3G or any wireless connection?

Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. randel77

randel77 Well-Known Member

orb 2.0 will stream music through the browser.
    there is an app, I think it's called ftpdroid. But it was a pain to set up, orb is easy.

3. dkaufman1

dkaufman1 Well-Known Member

With Orb...do you stream the music on your PC via HTTP to your G1? A non-flash browser?

I would love to see the quick step by step if you have a sec.

4. randel77

5. randel77

You can also control utorrent from your g1 but it's a little tricky to get set up.

6. dkaufman1

7. dkaufman1

I found Orb on my PC not very "workable". It found my media, but I could not figure out how to get it to play on my PC. It seems pretty full featured...likely I am just missing something. Anyone else getting working?

8. Ageless Stranger

Ageless Stranger Well-Known Member

I gave up with orb, the transcoding was awful in my opinion. High quality videos transcoded down to a severely limited bitrate, and those were the videos that worked. The majority of the videos I had would not play at all on the G1, but they would on a PC.

9. Hottub

Hottub New Member

I am currently streaming XM from my PC using TVersity. How do I pick up the stream on my Hero?

10. ICANSEEYOU7687

ICANSEEYOU7687 Active Member

I currently have a file server which has FTP, VNC, remote desktop,and orb, which I can all access from my android phone from anywhere in the world. Very easy to set up.

But orb is very glitchy atm. Still a lot of problems with it. Force closing, losing connection, and also you cannot play music in the background. So for example... If your driving and want to use the GPS program, you cannot but using orb. Big pain...

ive been monitoring the orb forums and hopefully they will update it soon.

But if they ftp thing works, perhaps I will try that. But orb will definately be worth it after a few more updates... hopefully...

Make sure u search the apps for OrbLive...
    Andorb is also a free version. I got it to work very well with video (even streamed a 1080p video to my phone, although it was only playing at like 5 fps... haha)

11. jodaboda

jodaboda Well-Known Member

Orb hasn't been working well for me. I currently use Mecanto for music (free for now), and am always looking for something better (maybe Simplify Media will make an app for Android).

12. privatesam

privatesam New Member

Absolutely the best music streaming is Subsonic with a really nice Android app - all open source, all free.

Subsonic

13. jodaboda

jodaboda Well-Known Member

anytime I hear "absolutely the best" (or the like), I'm very skeptical. If it's literally "the best", then you must have tried the newest versions of ALL other competing apps (ORB, Mecanto, Gmote, and others).

Subsonic was the only one I couldn't get to work at all (the Server wouldn't run on my PC w/ Windows 7 64-bit). And I received no help on the forum or from email support (though I don't really expect anything from app developers). Additionally, it's not free-- it's a 30-day trial. You can get a reg key for a "donation" (they put 20 Euro all over, but I think you can donate any amount).

I'm using Gmote now, and it seems pretty fast and easy (and has the added benefit of being able to control your PC via virtual trackpad, keyboard, and music player).

14. privatesam

privatesam New Member

Fair enough.

Although I will say I'm using ORB as well - which has many great features but the android client is very janky though, the main app costs a lot too. I do love Gmote but its not, primarily, a music streamer - sure it has the capability but the UI is based on file browse and open file etc. I stand by Subsonic for remote streaming away from home.

Not sure why you couldn't get it working - its the one piece of desktop software I've always had success with (you do need to forward ports, set paths etc).

As far as the trial - I didn't see that first time around. I have been using Subsonic for years just to stream my music over browser from work, friends house etc. Just checked the Android app and yes it is a trial - but for a donation which I suspect if you wanted to pay less than the 20 euros.

I got the impression from the original post they were looking to stream remotely but for in the home Gmote is probably the easiest, although not the prettiest.