• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accessories Steinheil Crystal Clear Protector Review

well, i had the clairvue anti-glare on, but on the recomendation of people on this forum, tired the boxwaves...they are more pixilated and fuzzy than the clairvues. They both do a great job of preventing fingerprints...but they are very fuzzy. So much so that i can not deal with it. Boxwave was nice enough to let me exchange the three i bought for the crystal clear. Hopefully they will be better...

Upvote 0
So, a quick mini review for both the AF and the Crystal -

AF SCREEN-
So, when i ordered my phone, I knew there were a couple of accessories that i wanted, especially a screen protector. I kept hearing about Steinheil, and when i saw them come in stock for the first time, i quickly ordered the AF screen. I later did some reading, and people said that you would really notice the difference between the bare screen and the AF, due to the fuzziness. So, when i got my phone, before even powering it on, i put on my AF screen, because I didn't want to see what i was missing out on.

The overall feel is excellent. There is a very slight texture, but it is actually quite nice, and made things like swype very enjoyable. Compared to my iPod, it was also quite obvious just how well it was cutting down on glare and reflection. Even better, fingerprints were all but non-existent.

However, I did notice some problems - for one, the fuzziness just would not go away in my mind. I knew that I was losing some resolution, and the nag grew to the point where i had to peel back the protector to look at the bare screen; what a difference. Not only was everything much sharper, but the colors also had a bit more pop. The other problem i noted, was that the matte screen was killing viewing angles; anything more than 40* deflection would just really make things near unreadable for me. So, with that in mind, i ordered the Crystals...

Crystal Screen-
Coming from the AF, the crystal screen is a huge difference. One of the things i first noted, even before putting it on, is that the screen is obviously coated like a camera lens might be. The screen has a blue reflection, which is thankfully not obvious on the device itself.

The protector itself really lets the screen shine; i can really agree that it is like a piece of glass. The viewing angles are great, and it does not distort the screen at all. I notice no problems in terms of color or sharpness - the screen really is incredible now.

However, there are a few downsides. Compared to the AF protector, the crystal is downright tacky in feel. I am getting used to the new screen, but the AF was definitely easier to swype with; i can swype still, but it is a new feeling. The other thing is, while I am sure it is better than bare glass, this this is an absolute fingerprint magnet compared to the AF. However, a shirt or microfiber cloth has no problem cleaning any smudges, and the screen is quickly back to beautiful.

In the end, I am extremely happy with the crystal, and do regret wasting my money on the AF in the first place. Unless you REALLY aren't picky, or have hands made of pure oil, don't even give a thought to the AF screen. The crystal is amazing, and really lets the screen look how it was supposed to look in the first place.

Upvote 0
Hmm - I question your review about the crystal version, although it is quite thorough!

So, a quick mini review for both the AF and the Crystal -

AF SCREEN-

[edit cut]

Crystal Screen-
Coming from the AF, the crystal screen is a huge difference. One of the things i first noted, even before putting it on, is that the screen is obviously coated like a camera lens might be. The screen has a blue reflection, which is thankfully not obvious on the device itself.

The actual screen protector is sandwiched between 2 throw-away film pieces. One is blue, the other is clear. You need to remove the clear one partly (like it says on the pull tab), place the exposed part on your device, and then peel up the remaining and place on your device. THEN, remove the top blue piece. Mine is, as it states, crystal clear with no blue coating. And yes, I do understand your reference to camera lenses. The UV color glare is not present when you remove the blue film.

The protector itself really lets the screen shine; i can really agree that it is like a piece of glass. The viewing angles are great, and it does not distort the screen at all. I notice no problems in terms of color or sharpness - the screen really is incredible now.

Very much agreed!!!

However, there are a few downsides. Compared to the AF protector, the crystal is downright tacky in feel. I am getting used to the new screen, but the AF was definitely easier to swype with; i can swype still, but it is a new feeling. The other thing is, while I am sure it is better than bare glass, this this is an absolute fingerprint magnet compared to the AF. However, a shirt or microfiber cloth has no problem cleaning any smudges, and the screen is quickly back to beautiful.

Mine is not tacky at all. I've used my Incredible with and without a screen protector. I can not tell any tackiness with the Steinheil. Maybe you still have the blue film on (point from above?)??? I don't know for sure. There have been reports of people not knowing to remove it... And like they say, this is not the AF version, it's the crystal clear version. Although, under my normal circumstances, I don't see that many fingerprints (not more than any other device I have, or my eyeglasses! LOL). And true - an easy swish with a micro cloth and it's squeeky clean.

In the end, I am extremely happy with the crystal, and do regret wasting my money on the AF in the first place. Unless you REALLY aren't picky, or have hands made of pure oil, don't even give a thought to the AF screen. The crystal is amazing, and really lets the screen look how it was supposed to look in the first place.

And how! This is truly a great screen protector. Cheers!

Reactions: professorjay
Upvote 0
Hmm - I question your review about the crystal version, although it is quite thorough!

The actual screen protector is sandwiched between 2 throw-away film pieces. One is blue, the other is clear. You need to remove the clear one partly (like it says on the pull tab), place the exposed part on your device, and then peel up the remaining and place on your device. THEN, remove the top blue piece. Mine is, as it states, crystal clear with no blue coating. And yes, I do understand your reference to camera lenses. The UV color glare is not present when you remove the blue film.

Thanks for the explanation! I spent 15 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong, because I just saw a bluish film and the thick, plasticky piece. At first I assumed the thick part was the protector and then realized there was still the thin, clear protector attached to it.

Upvote 0
I got mine for $10 plus tax, free shipping. Ordered through SGP website, which I think redirected me to an Amazon frontdoor seller.... Ordered the last week of May.

[edit]:
Hmm - just looked these up. Crystal Clear is going for 10.99, AF is for 11.99, and the Sheild version is 25.45. Order them through the SGP online store:

http://www.sgpstore.com/index.php/cPath/23_33

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones