• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Step by step instructions to secure Android phone

Hello there I'm new to this forum and I'm wondering if one of you here can help me and point me in the right directions for securing my Android phone. I'm a bit on the paranoid part and I would like to secure my phone to agree that it cannot easily be hacked.

Any information is highly appreciated thank you so much for your help

Try reading through this fairly comprehensive guide on locking down your Android phone:
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3268079/android-settings-security.html
Just don't get too over-zealous and secure your phone to the point where you lose functionality. No point in even having a smartphone if you can't do anything with it. Finding that balance between convenience and security isn't easy. Also, if you do spend a lot of time and effort locking down your phone don't fool yourself that's some kind of impervious shield -- you still need to use common sense and pay attention to any online interactions. People are always the primary weak point and when we do stupid stuff nothing can protect us from ourselves.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much I will read through it and pick what fits my needs. I am not a person who click on everything that pops up on a screen..I just want to reach a level of protection so I dont have to be too worried that it will get hacked by three letter agencies etc....lolI want to protect my privacy as much as I can on what is left ....

Upvote 0
Thank you very much I will read through it and pick what fits my needs. I am not a person who click on everything that pops up on a screen..I just want to reach a level of protection so I dont have to be too worried that it will get hacked by three letter agencies etc....lolI want to protect my privacy as much as I can on what is left ....
Well if you want to protect your privacy then your main problems are Google, Facebook and the rest. Hacking by malicious individuals comes after that (as @svim says the weakest link is probably yourself: don't use weak passwords, don't go answering social media threads about your first car/address/pet's name, i.e. common security question information, don't install apps without thinking about whether they can be trusted, etc).

The three-letter agencies you can forget about: you are unlikely to be of any interest to them, and if you are of serious interest to them the sort of things listed in that article or any other advice we can provide will make very little difference.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones