• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Step by Step Rooting Instructions: for Huawei Ascend

Hey guys, hoping someone can help provide some clarification on some things before I try rooting my Ascend. I've been reading up and researching, but before I commit, I want to make sure that what I think I understand is actually correct. I'm running the MetroPCS model with the 2.2.2 update loaded. Therefore, I know to use Gingerbreak v1.2. However:

1) In the instructions on the first post, it says to download Gingerbreak and provides a link to XDA Developers. On the XDA page, there are two Gingerbreak downloadables...one that just says Gingerbreakv1.2 and then down one more post it it says Gingerbreak from source...v1.2. Which one is the correct one?
2) The instructions say "download file to phone" but I can only seem to get either file to download to SD. Is that OK or does the file have to be on the phone's memory somewhere?
2a) If save on the phone, then which directory on the phone do I save it to?
2b) If to SD, can I launch the program from the SD (I believe the rooting program has to be on the phone but am not 100% sure)
3) To preview, I went ahead and downloaded both files from XDA to my computer to take a look at them, but they both saved as .zip files, not .apk. When I opened each .zip to find an .apk file or an executeable, none were in there that i could tell. So which is the actual program to execute for the root?
4) I found later in this thread a direct link to the Gingerbread.apk file which i downloaded to my computer and it is an actual .apk. Do I just use this one or use the .zips I found on XDA?
5) I've rooted other phones before and each time the process added superuser, busybox and a recovery of some sort. I didn't find any of those files in either .zip file. Does the Gingerbreak.apk I downloaded from this thread install any of those programs or is it just a root only program and i need to get su, bb, and some recovery like ROM manager after?

Any info to clarify appreciated!

Upvote 0
Hey guys, hoping someone can help provide some clarification on some things before I try rooting my Ascend. I've been reading up and researching, but before I commit, I want to make sure that what I think I understand is actually correct. I'm running the MetroPCS model with the 2.2.2 update loaded. Therefore, I know to use Gingerbreak v1.2. However:

1) In the instructions on the first post, it says to download Gingerbreak and provides a link to XDA Developers. On the XDA page, there are two Gingerbreak downloadables...one that just says Gingerbreakv1.2 and then down one more post it it says Gingerbreak from source...v1.2. Which one is the correct one?
2) The instructions say "download file to phone" but I can only seem to get either file to download to SD. Is that OK or does the file have to be on the phone's memory somewhere?
2a) If save on the phone, then which directory on the phone do I save it to?
2b) If to SD, can I launch the program from the SD (I believe the rooting program has to be on the phone but am not 100% sure)
3) To preview, I went ahead and downloaded both files from XDA to my computer to take a look at them, but they both saved as .zip files, not .apk. When I opened each .zip to find an .apk file or an executeable, none were in there that i could tell. So which is the actual program to execute for the root?
4) I found later in this thread a direct link to the Gingerbread.apk file which i downloaded to my computer and it is an actual .apk. Do I just use this one or use the .zips I found on XDA?
5) I've rooted other phones before and each time the process added superuser, busybox and a recovery of some sort. I didn't find any of those files in either .zip file. Does the Gingerbreak.apk I downloaded from this thread install any of those programs or is it just a root only program and i need to get su, bb, and some recovery like ROM manager after?

Any info to clarify appreciated!

The .apk should handle it all. Just dl it to phone or sd, shouldn't matter. Then open the .apk, and it will install busybox, superuser, and open root access. At least that's how z4root worked on 2.1 if I remember correctly...

Upvote 0
Okay...first you need to go to the forum at xda and register.

Then make sure the USB debugging is enabled on your phone and that you have the unknown sources checked.

Then go to the market and download the free: Dolphin Mini Browser

Then go back to the link provided in the top post of this thread and download the file.

It should work.

Then open up File Manager and click on the top right icon (SD card) and you will find it in there.

Then proceed to unroot.

See if this helps you.

I can't register with XDA. I have a verizon MIFI and its says blocked IP. So is there another way I can root my phone?

Upvote 0
I can't register with XDA. I have a verizon MIFI and its says blocked IP. So is there another way I can root my phone?

Here, I stuck it on my Gdrive.
z4root

Does your phone have to be plugged into your computer? Maybe that is my problem why I can't get it to work properly.

Shouldn't have to have it plugged into your computer.

Upvote 0
I recently flashed clockworkmod recovery to my Cricket Huawei Ascend M860 and all was going well i made a back up for my stock 2.1 eclair and checked to see if it worked and it did. I then downloaded a coustom 2.3.5 rom and i remember formating the boot,system and data before I went to install it from a zip in my sdcard. i then formated my sd card from inside clockwork(I was thinking right after i did this i made a mistake)
So i went to install my 2.3.5 rom and it said there wasnt a file for it on my sd card so i went to back up and restore and tried to restore my 2.1 eclair rom but it was not there i was wondering if i may have deleted all my sd card files or just reformated it to where the files cant be recovered in clockwork in any case why is it that clockwork can still be acessed.
In addition to clockwork i can get into my firmware update screen. when i do try and reboot and recover it keeps me at the huawei screen.So if my Sd card is my problem what should I do to fix this mess:thinking: i have windows xp and it recognizes my phone as a disc drive when connected by usb it also tells me i have no sd card in my mobile is there a way through this issue with windows if not what about a way around it.My sd card is actually a 4g SDHC if it helps. You seem to be one of the best so I came here first;)

Upvote 0
You deleted the entire contents of your SD card.
Thats why its recommended you back your SD card to your PC before flashing.

Right now the only things you can do are use the stock restore for cricket and start over, or redownload the cyanogen mod and install it in cwm.

You can also try out Icarus1.1 for a bug free ROM.

*edit
Um... not sure on Icarus for cricket ... its been a while
Sent from my mind using an LG ms770

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones