• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stick with Honeycomb for a while?

gordonwd

Jun 16, 2010
I had one of the units with severe random reboot problems after the first ICS update. I RMAed it back to Asus and just received a brand new one from them (after 4 weeks!!). This one has a "C1" serial number, whereas my original started with "B", so probably a newer hardware revision.

The good news as far as I'm concerned is that this one came with Honeycomb (3.2) installed. I'm really concerned about going through what I did earlier, even though the latest .13 release is supposed to have fixed the reboot problem, but might have introduced some new problems.

So can I just not update the firmware for a while to see if there is yet another, more stable update? Or can an update somehow be forced to download and install?

Just to close this out, I discovered that you can only postpone the update up to 3 times, and for a max of a day at a time. So I went ahead and updated it, which was build .13, and so far everything is OK. On my first go-round with the ICS (Android 4.0) update, it started failing drastically pretty quickly.

And so far I have not noticed any severe battery drain issues. Of course, I probably use the tablet different from many: no games, only turn on wi-fi when I need it, manually sync apps, keep screen brightness down (auto-brightness seems too bright), etc.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones