• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

raisfawwazi

Lurker
Dec 22, 2011
Hi!

After reading lots of blog/forums/etc I'm still confused how RAM is managed in android phones, is it true that free RAM is wasted RAM which is good if I have low free RAM in my live with walkman? Or is it better to have more free RAM in my system? What will happen if I run a game/app that need 100MB of RAM but I have only 10MB that is free?

And I more question, does RAM affects battery performance?

Thanks in advance

I can't really explain in great detail however there is a part of the RAM memory that is assigned to the Operating system and some pre-installed apps. Yes it is better to have free memory since the phone will run faster and smoother. If you don't have enough memory to run an app you will notice right away because it might lag and have some delays while running at that point is better to close some other apps.

In a way I'd say yes because the more apps running at once the less memory RAM you have available therefore the battery will not last as much but then again this is because many apps are running at once. I Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I can't really explain in great detail however there is a part of the RAM memory that is assigned to the Operating system and some pre-installed apps. Yes it is better to have free memory since the phone will run faster and smoother. If you don't have enough memory to run an app you will notice right away because it might lag and have some delays while running at that point is better to close some other apps.

In a way I'd say yes because the more apps running at once the less memory RAM you have available therefore the battery will not last as much but then again this is because many apps are running at once. I Hope this helps.

And what is the best way to close apps? since many people said that it's not good to use task killers, I've used them once but there seems to be no good effects, the apps I killed will just restart itself.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately I don't have a solution for those apps that keeps re-opening on their own because that happens to me too (I have a neo), to close the running apps you can go to Running services under Applications in Settings. In my case I use a Launcher called Go Launcher Ex that it brings a task manager integrated in the App menu, so I just select a tab and Close All Programs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones