• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] Stock-3.57.401.500 - Jelly Bean-Sense 5.5

clsA

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2013
FLA. USA
Reactions: scotty85
i was doing some experiments yesterday,and got myself stuck in a bootloop with no backup :mad: had to ruu to stock,and my most current backup was for maximus 13,so later tonight ill have to re-update to 20.

i still dont want to give up stock features,but i think sense is getting uglier. 5.5 is another step away from 4 :(

i miss the ability to unlock to mail,mms etc,and its just a bit odd to get a "4g" icon for LTE. ;) but otherwise so far so good for me as well with the update to the new base.

Upvote 0
I'm shocked at this info coming from a Guru like you :)
BootLoop should not be an option and No Backup :ahhhhh::D:D:D

I'm still new to HTC phones so I'm pretty happy with each change to the Sense environment. It's always evolving into things i had never thought of in a launcher

If you open up default.xml under system>customize>acc and go all the way to the bottom and edit the line with sku_id>42< and change the number to 7 it gives you the AT&T icons.
and if I remember correctly changing it to 11 will give you the Tmobile icon set (4G/LTE hidden when on Wifi) my favorite

Upvote 0
thanks,ill give that a shot. i agree,the t mobile icons are my favorite as well.

in my defense.. well,there is no defense,really,lol. :eek: you should always make a backup,even when you dont think what your about to do will not affect anything :D :eek: :p

having to reupdate,reset a few things up, and move a few files back from the PC are what i get for being in a hurry ;)

Upvote 0
Is 5.5 a significant update? I'm running Insertcoin 4.0.1 with no Blinkfeed! Aaaaah bliss.

My phone backs up any significant data (which aint much in my case) to the cloud, every time I re-rom I like to start from scratch, keeps things clean.

5.5 does bring some nice features,IIRC. not being an avid sense fan myself,the changes dont affect me much,so i dont remember what they were. :eek: i personally think its getting less and less visually appealing.

hopefully someone can chime in what 5.5 brings to the table. :)

Upvote 0
Sense 5.5 brings new features to BlinkFeed, including Google+, RSS and search support &#8212; and yes, the option to turn it off entirely.

There's also a redesigned Gallery app with new video highlight templates and options. and now has an animated GIF maker, Zoe photos have more themes and audio options&#8230;

A new menu for customizing and re-ordering the quick settings in the notification shade, and new options here include a "Do Not Disturb" mode.
In addition, the HTC keyboard features some new emoji icons, and the task-switcher has been re-scaled with bigger preview windows.

The camera app has grown two new features &#8212; "Panorama+" and "Dual Capture."

(Info shamelessly ripped from google)

Upvote 0
I don't know what the "Do Not Disturb" feature does differently to Air plane Mode but I haveney tried it yet. The gallery is now an improvement on 4.x and what makes it a significant improvement to me is that Blinkfeed now has RSS, (what good is an aggregator without RSS)? The pull down menu also does the two fingered pully down thing, which is just a little gimmicy but useful if your index finger happens to be longer than your middle finger. Blinkfeed is actually useful now! Imagine that.

Upvote 0
I'm running ARHD (second to latest edition, I'm trying to get the update now) and my LTE service is terrible. The cell tower is right in front of my office building and I used to get full service on LTE and now I barely get 1 bar, which usually drops to HSPA or 3G. Just today I tried the stock unofficial tmobile update to sense 5.5 and I got full LTE again! But then I restored back to ARHD and now it's at 1 bar again.

Upvote 0
Yup, S-off and everything. I tried updating only the radio and not the firmware earlier. When I installed the stock sense 5.5 ROM without the firmware or radio update, it removed the superuser binaries and I lost root access. SO I just restored my backup and got ARHD 31.0. Still having issues with low service but it doesn't affect speed or anything, kind of just cosmetic really.

Upvote 0
Yup, S-off and everything. I tried updating only the radio and not the firmware earlier. When I installed the stock sense 5.5 ROM without the firmware or radio update, it removed the superuser binaries and I lost root access. SO I just restored my backup and got ARHD 31.0. Still having issues with low service but it doesn't affect speed or anything, kind of just cosmetic really.

use a Root Explorer in the directory /system/customize/ACC/default.xml and look for the sku_id value. Should be near the bottom on line 432. Its currently set at 42, Set at 7 for AT&T and/or 11 for Tmobile.
This will return your icons and bars to normal.

Radio's flashed (like a rom) in custom recovery.. >> http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2419699

Upvote 0
Must be because I'm using twrp, but it fails without even starting. It says it requires a fastboot install and that's what gets to me

And thanks for the replies! :D

are you trying to flash the firmware zip file in recovery? if so,thats your prollem... those files are not designed to be flashed that way.

you will need to use ruu mode to flash it,in the following manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

Reactions: ferretflip
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones