• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Stock rom. Options

togger161

Android Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2011
Birmingham UK
Hi.
I'm running Android 5.0.1 I9505XXUHOJ2, stock rom, not rooted and Knox in tact. I know I can root this rom using CF Auto root, and that it will trip knox, not too worried about that. But what next. I'm fed up of all of the bloat-ware that I never use, app optimisation alerts, signing with a Galaxy account I don't have every time I reboot. I'm after something fast, slick and reliable.

Am I better off installing a custom rom? If so any recommendations for me to look at? I know it's a personal choice but I'd be happy to narrow the list down a bit. Would like to stay on Lollipop rom rather than going back to Kitkat. Or should I just root and uninstall the system stuff I don't want?

As for flashing, what is the best way? Can I install a custom recovery (eg CWM) or is it best to flash from Kies?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones