• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Stop apps from auto starting

countryblue

Dec 6, 2019
Galaxy s10e

About a month ago I began experiencing open apps when I use my fingerprint to wake it,, or sometimes, like today, one app was unexpectedly just "there" suddenly during the course of my activity.

At first, I thought it was my imagination, that I inadvertently tapped one, but it seemingly happens daily, once or twice, with different apps, and some of them I rarely if ever use.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
Samsung phones sometimes have a feature enabled by default called 'double-tap to wake' and 'raise to wake'. This has caused tons of frustrating moments for myself with the same problem you got. I'd pull my phone out, the battery is well below 20%, and an app or the recent apps tray open, or my phone dialer is up with random characters dialed in (but thankfully it never hit send).

What happens is you put phone in pocket, you walk around and the phone thinks it's being tapped or raised, and unlocks itself (especially if you don't have a PIN or secure lock screen method or smart lock is active) and then interprets pocket movements as screen taps. Samsungs also support gestures on the Always-On Display that can wreak havoc too. Also, "Accidental touch protection" seems to be broken, as it never worked after getting Android 12. I had to turn off all those features, from AOD to the double-tap to wake to the raise to wake.

The double-tap to wake/raise to wake settings are in settings-->Advanced features-->Motions and Gestures.

The Always-on-display settings are under settings-->Display

Upvote 0
Samsung phones sometimes have a feature enabled by default called 'double-tap to wake' and 'raise to wake'. This has caused tons of frustrating moments for myself with the same problem you got. I'd pull my phone out, the battery is well below 20%, and an app or the recent apps tray open, or my phone dialer is up with random characters dialed in (but thankfully it never hit send).

What happens is you put phone in pocket, you walk around and the phone thinks it's being tapped or raised, and unlocks itself (especially if you don't have a PIN or secure lock screen method or smart lock is active) and then interprets pocket movements as screen taps. Samsungs also support gestures on the Always-On Display that can wreak havoc too. Also, "Accidental touch protection" seems to be broken, as it never worked after getting Android 12. I had to turn off all those features, from AOD to the double-tap to wake to the raise to wake.

The double-tap to wake/raise to wake settings are in settings-->Advanced features-->Motions and Gestures.

The Always-on-display settings are under settings-->Display
@nickdalzell

I already have those options you suggested in place.

For me, this isn't necessarily manifesting itself as a result of an accidental touch. I usually take screenshots to document it. That "app" I mentioned in my OP the other day that was unexpectedly just "there", the attached image of Xfinity, is not even installed on my device.

That same day, the audible app opened up to it's login page. It wasn't on my Home page. It was only in my custom "Entertainment" sub folder, so I couldn't have accidentally accessed it.

I don't recall it ever happening with the same app twice, and it could also be a setting that pops up.

Attachments

• apps popup.png
    apps popup.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 25
Upvote 0
@nickdalzell

I already have those options you suggested in place.

For me, this isn't necessarily manifesting itself as a result of an accidental touch. I usually take screenshots to document it. That "app" I mentioned in my OP the other day that was unexpectedly just "there", the attached image of Xfinity, is not even installed on my device.

That same day, the audible app opened up to it's login page. It wasn't on my Home page. It was only in my custom "Entertainment" sub folder, so I couldn't have accidentally accessed it.

I don't recall it ever happening with the same app twice, and it could also be a setting that pops up.

Xfinity is an ISP isn't it, rather than an app? This looks to me like pop-up ads for products and services, such as Xfinity and Audible, rather than apps actually opening on your phone.

I'd guess you've got some adware installed on your phone that might have come with some "free" app or game you installed possibly?
Is it a US carrier version phone you've got there? Because I've read reports on AF of pre-installed adware on those devices.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Xfinity is an ISP
Yes, and it has a mobile app in Google play. I tried calling them. It's virtually impossible to contact them except by a chatbot, unless you can supply a zip code in their coverage area. Maybe someone can post a zip code so I can get past that roadblock to their customer service
Xfinity is an ISP isn't it, rather than an app? This looks to me like pop-up ads for products and services, such as Xfinity and Audible, rather than apps actually opening on your phone.

I'd guess you've got some adware installed on your phone that might have come with some "free" app or game you installed possibly?
Is it a US carrier version phone you've got there? Because I've read reports on AF of pre-installed adware on those devices.
I've had this model of phone for years, so I would think an app rather than pre-installed is likely the source.
I can accept in-app ads, but this is not acceptable.

Can someone recommend a way to export a list of installed apps so I can begin sorting out which one may be responsible, like posting the list to get answers or advice?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones