• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Stopping standby resetting a running app?

I've looked on numerous occasions for this, as its extremely annoying, finally decided to ask about it.

Say I'm playing a game and need to go do something, I'll go into standby with the power button so the phone can be safely put in my pocket.

When I come back, that game may or may not be exactly where I left it (half way through a level say).
Sometimes I can go into standby for only 2 seconds, and it's already reset and reloads the app from scratch!
Other times I can leave it on standby for 30 mins or more and it comes back on exactly where I left it.

I want it to always carry on where I left it - is there any way of making it always do the latter? Maybe with a 3rd party app?

It would depend on the game, what else is running on the phone, and if Android needs to free up memory for something else.

The game should determine on its own what to do when the phone enters sleep with regards to saving the state. If you leave the game to say go answer a text or phone call, that may activate other activities which could push the game off the stack of cached apps (again, up to the game to determine how to handle saving its state). If you turn off the screen and just leave it, it could be a background sync of say email, Fakebook or the device polling the network that could again, require Android to push the game into deep sleep. This last one would most likely explain why sometimes it can sleep for 2 seconds and others 30 minutes. In all cases, though, it is up to the developer of the game to determine how it will handle the device being put to sleep.

One final thought, though it doesn't sound like you are using one, it any task killer (or force closing through the system) would prevent the game from being able to take this step. Just another reason to avoid automatic task killers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones